What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unusual 2" mortar smoke lifting stap

BMG50

Premium Member
Found two 2" smoke with an unusual lifting strap in that its double held in place with one rivet in the centre of the bomb, anyone have a clue could it be Canadian?

Attachments

• smokelift1.JPG
    smokelift1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 82
I was told this strap with a hole was used for linethrowing. I have no written conformation of this however.

Regards, DJH

If that is the top of 2" mortar smoke bomb it is not like anything that I have ever seen.
The three equispaced rivets are not evident and the lifting strap appears to be attached in the middle, rather than on one of the rivets.
Perhaps it is experimental?
The lifting strap in service always had two holes, one near each end. One to attach under one of the rivets and one to attach a suitable hook to for removing the bomb from the bomb thrower if the bomb was not to be used, at that time.
There were two line throwing bombs for anti trip wire use, but neither looked anything like this, one with a grapnel attached and the other with a central eye.

It's defently two inch with fins etc. I know I collect 2" no markings as the body is rusty. Have another exactly the same but it's center rivet is still in place.