What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Case Variations

EODGUY

The 37mm M16 case for the rounds used in the WWII and later weapons such as the M3A1 AT Gun and the M5A1 and M6 Tank guns is a fairly common case. The projectile in the loaded round in the photo is a 1941 dated M63 HE. The two empty cases are experimentals that are unheadstamped so I have no idea of the date of the experimentation. The recoilless case is a lacquered steel variation. It has apparently been fired because there are crimps on the neck and the inside of the case is blackened. There is no primer present. The other case has a brass base and a black plastic body. It is 8 13/16 inches long instead of the standard 8 1/2 inches, the difference being in the length of the neck. I do not have any official information on either case.

Attachments

• 37mm cases.jpg
    37mm cases.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
Well, the world is full of coincidences and today I experienced mine. The mailman must monitor BOCN because today he brought an envelope from a close friend that was filled with WWII era bomb disposal documentation and a few ordnance reports. One of those reports was on the 37mm T62 single shot recoilless rifle that began development in July of 1945. My case is the T3 case. It is a modified M16B1 steel case that was retapered and cut about 1/4 inch shorter than the original case. 50 rows of 9 holes each were then made in the case. The projectiles used were the standard M54 and M63, but the base of the projectile below the rotating band was machined down slightly, the front edge of the rotating band machined to produce a slight shoulder and the rotating band was pre-engraved. A polyethylene bag in the case contained the propellant. The report I now have is dated August 1947 and recommended termination of the project at that time. I sure wish all my questions had an answer delivered in the mail the same day. I hope this is of value to some of you.

Interesting, would you mind taking a photo of the headstamp of the 2 unusual ones please.
Thanks, Dave.

I would be glad to take a photo of the headstamps, but there aren't any on either case. Both are totally plain...unfortunately.