What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual Cases

Richard709

Some unusual cases all are 3 pr and purpose made, one case is damaged and both the 2 big ones are dirty.

Web 3pr 003.jpgWeb 3pr 005.jpgWeb 3pr 006.jpgWeb 3pr 007.jpgWeb 3pr 008.jpgWeb 3pr 013.jpgWeb 3pr 014.jpgWeb 3pr 015.jpgWeb 3pr 018.jpgWeb 3pr 019.jpgWeb 3pr 021.jpgWeb 3pr 022.jpgWeb 3pr 024.jpgWeb 3pr 028.jpgWeb 3pr 029.jpgWeb 3pr 030.jpgWeb 3pr 031.jpg

I seem to remember one like these has been shown before.

All the Best.
Richard

I have several that were originally full cases in 1916 etc, but have been made into blanks & some have been reloaded 4 or 5 times.None of them though are as tall as the ones in your pics - probably only 250mm tall.

I do know where there is another one that is shorter and is about the same length as a modern 3pr blank, that one is also dated 1942 and Naval. May see if I can get it to complete the set.
Richard

Hello

1 Photo 10 is a plug transit for various shells eg 4.5 ins

2 Photo 6 & 7 is a 3 pdr blank case made in 1942 was reworked at RNAD Trecwn (TRE) could have be refilled many times

3 Photo 9 is also a 3 pdr case made in 1979

Hope this info helps

Steve

Hi Steve,

all the cases have been reworked, one by RNAD Trecwn, its the bit that's been added "why", these cases have been adapted for a specific use. Photo 9 shows a standard saluting gun blank case headstamp (250x57), the original case has been cut down to 20mm and the top 40mm has been added.

Web 3pr 003.jpgWeb 3pr 004.jpgWeb 3pr 005.jpg

If you look at the photo's you can see where they have been joined. cant see any point in converting an already blank case into a blank, probably at great expense, all the 3 pr blanks I have seen and have are straight walled and all the diagrams in the pam's show blanks as straight walled with either a disc or leatherboard cup as closure.

All the Best.
Richard

Only thing I can think of is that the ported plate is to `disperse` the blast/generate smoke & noise and the port is to put pressure back into the breech to stop the case expanding too much that it jams so it can be ejected ??

Could these be Armourers tools...ie bore inspection light?,I have come across vent tubes modified with bulbs fitted in much the same way.
Is that a bit of electrical wire in the fourth pic of your original post Richard?

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

No its a brass hook, they all have them, unfortunately the only person I knew that would know has long since retired. They are interesting and unusual, if we find out what they are, we may also find out why they used 3pr cases old and new and the reason for the different lengths.

All the Best.
Richard