What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual German FH18 case

Vasco Da Gama

Not the most glamorous of subjects but I thought to post a few pictures of what I think is a steel/brass washed 2-part case for the German 105mm FH18 field howitzer (105x 155). I am surprised at the amount of work put into this 1937 made item, the construction is complex and the fixing inside the case is very heavy and I assume difficult to manufacture. With the early date it would be hard to argue that this level of complexity was worthwhile to save brass in wartime. Marked as 6342/65, very glad to have your thoughts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 32
Actually this is cheaper to produce than one made in one piece. The head is simply turned from one piece and the body pressed from a piece of tube. If pressed in one piece requirements for steel quality are quite hard and most likely do not manage in one step.