What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unusual kugal

paul the grenade

hi all. i got a couple of new kugals recently, the one in picture 1 is quite an unusual shape compared to the normal ones. anyone any ideas on it?
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• kugal varient.jpg
    kugal varient.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 76
  • kugal varient 2.jpg
    kugal varient 2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Bothe are regular modesl just harder to find. The right one is the early pattern.
Not to forget that Russia also made them.

The first one is sometimes referred as Russian WW1, but I have some doubts. Probably if someone has a chance to find similar with Cyrillic markings, this could be verified. If with Roman, the case should be closed too. So we are waiting...

The only reference I have seen re Russian kugels is the bit in the 1917phamphlet in Russian, which I cannot read. It is shown with a Japanese, French and English grenade. I always assumed these were grenades that the Russians had from both friends and enemies. Darryl Lynn dosn't show it in his Warsaw Pact book.But, as you say, until we get one with Cyrillic letters on it, or Lenins fingerprints, it is an open question.

heres a pic of the base with markings M B X. any one know what these are?
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• kugal markings.jpg
    kugal markings.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 27
Both are Rare Kugals - I have both in my collection and to answer someones comments about one being not finnished, I can say with all certainty that it is completely finnished. The # 2 picture is sometimes called the "TRANSITIONAL KUGAL" i.e. between the 1913 & 1915 pattern. The first picture is 100% the "Russian Kugal" - These are found all over Russia. I have several colleagues in various parts of the East and they all speak of the unique shape being of Russian design copied from German 1913 models. I have some paperwork somewhere including designs which accompanied my Russian Kugal with technical specs of the day and transectional views. Unfortunately I don't have the time to look for them but when I come across them I will dig out this thread and attached for all to see. WF

I have on also of the odd shaped Kugel grenade, mine came from Poland. This grenade differs from the 1913 version in that it can be pulled from a two piece mold. The 1913 cannot. There is another step in the manufacture of the 1913 grenade. It starts out as what is refered to as the transitional Kugel, as in your other photo. This one is also refered to as the Orange Peel. This transitional grenade is really the first step in producing the 1913 kugel. After it is cast, the center cut has to be made to complete the 1913. The confusion of the placement of this grenade (orange peel) in the sequence of Kugels is because of the great demand for grenades at the beginning of the war. That final step was slowing production so many of the unfinished 1913's (orange peels) were sent out. The 1915 kugel was specifically desinged to avoid that final step and can be pulled from a simple two piece mold. You have to remember that these grenades were being produced by the millions. We see the same problem with British Grenades. The no. 3 and 20 rifle grenades were beautifully machined out of steel. The no 24 is still steel but simpler, now no vertical cuts. When you get to the no 35 and 39 grenades, all cast iron, very easy to mfg.

Mispoke in above thread, the center frag line of the model 1913 is made by cutting two grooves around the body of the "transitional grenade", one above the center and one below. This gives it the center frag line. Look at the orange peel version, then picture two lines dividing the center and you have the model 1913.....

The early 1913 Kugel is analogous to the early transverse Mills No.5 casting, which could only be made in a simple two part sand mould with just the vertical grooves cast. The horizontal grooves had to be cut on a lathe. Likewise the Kugel had to have horizontal grooves turned, above and below the centre line, as stated by frizzen. The resultant segments of the central band can vary from almost perfectly square to very rectangular - this is simply a function of the position where the lathe cutting tool strikes the metal.

Tom.

Last edited:
Paul,

Where can I find the second grenade you have pictured? I have been searching for a while with no luck, I have been told they are extremely rare.

i was lucky to get this one in a trade. maybe some of our russian or polish members will be able to help you find a nice one.
cheers, paul.

Paul,

Where can I find the second grenade you have pictured? I have been searching for a while with no luck, I have been told they are extremely rare.