What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual No. 36? grenade bits - gas check & tool

Darkman

Are these things for No. 36 grenades?

Grenade base gas check with unusual 6 strengthening bars. Fits 1/4" British base plug. Diameter 63mm fits 2 1/2", 1/8" thick.
Is it a British early No. 23 or 36 gas check; or foreign made?

Unusual tool possibly for No. 36 Mk II practice grenades. 2 pins with flat base. Slot fits striker slots to reset the pin and lever spring. 3 1/16" (78mm) long and 1" (25mm) wide. It has no markings. Is this a rare tool?

Attachments

• grenade 01.jpg
    grenade 01.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 42
  • grenade 02.jpg
    grenade 02.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 33
  • grenade 03.jpg
    grenade 03.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 38
No, the tool is an official no36 assembly tool, I have a drawing for it somewhere. From memory it is late ww2 period.
Cheers
Gary

Key No 36M Grenade, All Purposes, Mk 1 made of steel and approved for use.(see Ammunition Bulletin No 45, Item 1234, Fig 499).

The grenade key has been covered before in another post. I believe it was the type in later use with the 36M until the 36M was withdrawn from British service. I still have one of those keys.

Thank you for the hyperlink.
I see it has been well covered before I started looking at this site.
I got my key when destroying 36 grenades in 1959, but never knew anymore about it until I came across the reference given.
I was over the moon and started a thread a while back, not realising it had already been covered.