What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual VSM casing on ebay

Gspragge

Premium Member
Dimensions ; Bottom = 65mm, Top = 54mm and Length = 332mm

What is this ? VICKERS ll ??

Attachments

• !BpiJ1vgBmk~$(KGrHqQH-DQEufz5LMlQBLr28ZOrog~~_35.JPG
    !BpiJ1vgBmk~$(KGrHqQH-DQEufz5LMlQBLr28ZOrog~~_35.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 107
  • !BpiKWQ!BGk~$(KGrHqEH-DsEu(,+eWITBLr29)8JJQ~~_35.JPG
    !BpiKWQ!BGk~$(KGrHqEH-DsEu(,+eWITBLr29)8JJQ~~_35.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 134
Hi Gordon,Vickers produced there own 3 pdr which is marked Vickers,so as Tony W says its one of those cut down,might be a blank but cant see that on the H Stamp.Tig

It is still there as Trench art

49 pounds if I recall.330418405941

Last edited:
nice casing

Very nice WWI dated shell casing. Had not seen "VICKERS" on a headstamp before and with a good strike on top of that...Dano

The Vickers MkI balloon gun (47x411R) is a different round to 'standard' 3-PR (47x376R). This could well be a cut down case of the former.

I have to agree with Q, it is a cut down 3pr Vickers. Was originally 411mm. Picture shows the comparison between ordinary 3pr and Vickers II.

BD

Attachments

• 3pr comp.jpg
    3pr comp.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 49
Interesting - I'd not heard of that one (another one to add to the Ammo Data Tables on my website!). Does anyone know anything more about this round or its gun? Shell weight and muzzle velocity?

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website

vickers

Vickers 3pr used same shells as earlier Hotchkiss 3pr but were a naval round. Think there has been posts on it before. It features in the 1915 Naval ammunition handbook: shell being steel common, lyddite, and practice. reduced charge practice being used for guns mounted on top of turrets or barbette mountings. Of course lots of marks of round exist.2pr

vickers

Had a quick look in Rawlinsons Defence of London 1915-1918 and he has a picture of a Vickers 3 pounder high velocity gun on a high angle mounting on a Lancia chassis. So it was used on land as AA but the guns were, I believe, under naval control. 2pr