What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 3 & 6 pounders? ( I assume )

DEADLINE222

They are both made by USMCO.

I assume they are 3 and 6 pounders?

I am unsure as I cannot find any pictures of either of the two based on that there are no grooves in the rotating bands, other than the 3 pounder on ORDATA which describes it as:

U.S. PROJECTILE, 3-LB, COMMON, MK 4 MOD 1

The big one is 57mm and the small is 47mm.

The big one has a star on the rotating band.

If they are 3 and 6 pounders, why do these guys not have grooves in the rotating bands, when every other picture I have found does?

Is it because they are US made? Do they fire from the same guns as the British examples?

63.jpg63A.jpg

They are U.S. made 3 & 6 Pr. This band style seems to have started with Driggs Patent projectiles in 1892 and it seemed to be the standard design used on everything by about 1900 in the smaller sizes (I'm no expert on things larger than 37mm) This differs from the British style with the Nordenfelt type band which is the kind you are thinking of. Your projectiles could have been made from the late 1890s till 1918 (I have no idea if these were made after 1918, likely enough left over to last) if you can't find a date mark on the base of them. There is a great site that details these guns : (it may lead to the 3 Pr information too)

USA 6-pdr (2.72 kg) [2.244" (57 mm)] Marks 1 through 13
www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_6pounder_m1.htm

Last edited:
You need to find the USN colour chart for ww1, Practice (empty or sand filled with plug) should be Red, Early ones in the 1890s I think were grey. But I stand to be corrected on this. There ought to be some information around here on the site I hope.