What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 57mm Ammunition

flak18

Hello All
My post is about US 57mm Anti tank gun rounds.
I have M70 AP, M22 Drill, M76 TP-T, M86 APC,fuzed with M72 and painted olive drab, M86 APC non fuzed and painted black and M86 APC Drill with no headstamp or body markings....I think possibly a post war European round.
My question that I hope you can help with is... was there a TP-T round produced for the M86 APC ? Painted blue as with the M76 ? I assume that there was but can find no reference
Thanks in advance for your help. You have to love the info available on this site

There were also nose-fuzed HE projectiles, very rare canister projectiles, and drill rounds with AP-T projectiles crimped in steel cases.

I'm not sure about your inert APCBC-T projectile question.

There were also nose-fuzed HE projectiles, very rare canister projectiles, and drill rounds with AP-T projectiles crimped in steel cases.

I'm not sure about your inert APCBC-T projectile question.
Thanks Hazord
Yes, and I would love to find US HE or Canister rounds....been looking for a long time. More chance in your part of the world I think. The M22 Drill is one I have. I feel certain the APC must have existed in blue practice form as it did for AP....but who knows ???

Hello US Subs
Thanks for your reply. NICE !!! I notice the driving band on the Prac HE is thinner than the other Hotchkiss type bands. Is that the normal band for HE ? It sort of looks like a Bofors 57 mm.
Very nice rounds. Do you know the story behind the Proof APC minus the ballistic cap ?
Fascinating the amount of very usefull info on this site. Pleasure to talk to you.

No idea on the back story, I bought a small collection of a deceased collector, it was included. I don't see enough of the HE projectiles to be able to say what is "normal".

Flak18, could you post pictures of your M76 TP-T ? Thank you.
US-Subs : markings on the blue one sound Belgian (M55BG) and shape sounds Bofors type.

US-Subs : markings on the blue one sound Belgian (M55BG) and shape sounds Bofors type.
Hello Minen
It's in Australia at the moment...sorry...Harry G has one that he shows on the "show your 6 pounder rounds " post.

Hello All
I have M70 AP, M22 Drill, M76 TP-T, M86 APC,fuzed with M72 and painted olive drab, M86 APC non fuzed and painted black and M86 APC Drill with no headstamp or body markings....I think possibly a post war European round.
My question that I hope you can help with is... was there a TP-T round produced for the M86 APC ? Painted blue as with the M76 ? I assume that there was but can find no reference
Thanks in advance for your help. You have to love the info available on this site
The 57mm M76 TP-T c.1942 painted FS.35109 standard or FS.35193 (Observed)...same shot profile as AP-T M72. The Base-Fuzed APHE-T (APC-T) painted FS.34087 'standard' green-hued Olive drab c.1942

The 57mm M76 TP-T c.1942 painted FS.35109 standard or FS.35193 (Observed)...same shot profile as AP-T M72. The Base-Fuzed APHE-T (APC-T) painted FS.34087 'standard' green-hued Olive drab c.1942
Thanks tripwire
The M76 TP-T has the same profile as the M70, not M72. But what I am seeking is info as to whether there ever existed a TP-T round for the M 86 shaped projectile. Quite a mystery it would seem. Thanks for your input. Wonderul site this.

Hello All
You can stop looking - the US did not make a target practice round during WW2 that resembled the M86 service round. They used M76 and M70 for target practice. They did not create dedicated TP rounds that resembled the APC service round in 75mm, 3 inch or 90mm either. Not worth the effort. 37mm was the only caliber where they produced a dedicated target practice round that resembled the service APC round (M51).
Was your M76 TP made by AK (Andover Kent) in 1943? Those seem to be the only ones that have survived.

Last edited:
You can stop looking - the US did not make a target practice round during WW2 that resembled the M86 service round. They used M76 and M70 for target practice. They did not create dedicated TP rounds that resembled the APC service round in 75mm, 3 inch or 90mm either. Not worth the effort. 37mm was the only caliber where they produced a dedicated target practice round that resembled the service APC round (M51).
Was your M76 TP made by AK (Andover Kent) in 1943? Those seem to be the only ones that have survived.
Hi Jeff
Thank you so much for that info....I can relax now !!
My M76 is in Australia so I don't know the manufacturer.
The expertise on this site is amazing.