What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US 90mm HVAP Round

pzjgr

The biggest haul of the past weekend was a complete 90mm round...

Friday afternoon spied the case at a buddies table....Saturday morning saw the TP-T projectile on another guys table. Snagged it, then went and got the case from my buddy, and Bob's your uncle, I had a complete round.

As the paint is crappy, and there is no stenciling, I will strip the projectile down, and repaint it as an M304 or 332 HVAP-T projectile.

One question, in some tech pub illustrations I have seen, it appears that the projectile is black with white lettering as you'd expect, but the entire windshield is painted white...is this correct?

Will of course post pics when it is completed...

Attachments

• 20170925_092943.jpg
    20170925_092943.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 76
No, there is no provision in any U.S. color code for painting the windshield white on anything but a missile or illuminating rounds.

No, there is no provision in any U.S. color code for painting the windshield white on anything but a missile or illuminating rounds.

Great, thanks, I figured as much, but figured I'd check...

I based it on this drawing, which I've seen in a couple of sources, but I can't check my hard copy references, as I am out of town...

Attachments

• 90mm-HVAP-M332A1.jpg
    90mm-HVAP-M332A1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 33
If you are looking at a color photo, that is one thing, but looking at a manual that has no colors specified, is something else. In the drawing you refer to, the cartridge case has no color, so would you expect it to be painted white also? For proper colors, you need to refer to a color code chart for the specific time period the ammunition would have been used in. Color codes have changed over the years. Illuminating rounds used to be painted gray with black lettering.

M318 m353

Posting a few pics just for interest. I found an original M353 crate to put my TP-T M353 in, bought from a fellow MVPA member who had it sitting in his barn. I put the M318 next to it. Why are you repainting it? From my understanding, the M353 and correct case is a hard to find cartridge as it sits. Is yours marked M353?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Posting a few pics just for interest. I found an original M353 crate to put my TP-T M353 in, bought from a fellow MVPA member who had it sitting in his barn. I put the M318 next to it. Why are you repainting it? From my understanding, the M353 and correct case is a hard to find cartridge as it sits. Is yours marked M353?

Nice! I love the crate...

My projectile is marked as TP-T M353 on the rotating band (or maybe above like yours, but I am not at home to check for sure until this weekend). I am going to re-paint it, as it has two coats of different blues (light and dark, dark outermost) which is all chipped up and peeling on the windshield, so it looks pretty crappy, and the dark blue isn't correct in any case. So If I am going to repaint it, I'll do it as an M332....

It'll look good next to my M71 HE round...below on the left...I put the second pic in there by mistake, so you can ignore that one...I can't figure out how to delete it...

Attachments

• 20160829_232634.jpg
    20160829_232634.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170704_111828.jpg
    20170704_111828.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: