What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Odd version of US fuze Scovill Model 1907M, on ball-bearing base:

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-226-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-226-2.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ICE-JV-226-4.JPG
    ICE-JV-226-4.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ICE-JV-226-14.JPG
    ICE-JV-226-14.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 44
Just a theory, but could it be like that to allow the practice of the motion of setting a fuze with the wrench on a exercise/drill round before loading the gun into the breach? Thats my only reason I could think of for this being a thing. Does it rotate freely?

I would lean in a different direction. Making the top of the fuze free rotating would be much simpler than a ball-bearing base. I would guess more that it was intended to be added fragmentation. There was an impact element in many of the Scovilles and their variations. One variation included a steel cup that extended down beyond the adapter about another 3-4cm. If I recall correctly this cup was filled with mercury fulminate, the charge weight would probably be around 50-100 grams. There was a channel built into the cup that routed the flash around the charge and still allowed for the expulsion of the shrapnel balls. When this occurred instead of the fuze just being expelled, it was expelled with an explosive charge that would function on impact. An addition like the one shown would significantly increase fragmentation over that of the simple cup.
I've only seen one of those over the years, a field recovery at Ft. Sill. I was unaware of the significance at the time, but sent a description to the late Jim OBrien, a mentor of mine, and he was both able to recognize it from the description and provide a copy of the relevant information and diagram from his library. I'm sure that I still have the information, and I'm just as sure that it would likely take me a year or more to find it.

I would lean in a different direction. Making the top of the fuze free rotating would be much simpler than a ball-bearing base. I would guess more that it was intended to be added fragmentation. There was an impact element in many of the Scovilles and their variations. One variation included a steel cup that extended down beyond the adapter about another 3-4cm. If I recall correctly this cup was filled with mercury fulminate, the charge weight would probably be around 50-100 grams. There was a channel built into the cup that routed the flash around the charge and still allowed for the expulsion of the shrapnel balls. When this occurred instead of the fuze just being expelled, it was expelled with an explosive charge that would function on impact. An addition like the one shown would significantly increase fragmentation over that of the simple cup.
I've only seen one of those over the years, a field recovery at Ft. Sill. I was unaware of the significance at the time, but sent a description to the late Jim OBrien, a mentor of mine, and he was both able to recognize it from the description and provide a copy of the relevant information and diagram from his library. I'm sure that I still have the information, and I'm just as sure that it would likely take me a year or more to find it.
Please post that file when you do find it, would love to give it a read, sounds awesome

I think the museum document said it was to keep the fuze stable in flight. Maybe something to do with the burn rate? No idea, but I know it was experimental, and just plain interesting.

Joe

Just for you Chris...

A couple of memory breaks for me on this one, not a Scoville but an Erhardt, and not mercury fulminate but picric acid.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg