What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Grenade Mk II

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
I known that the payload of an Mk II Grenade can be TNT or EC powder.
TNT is well known, but can somebody tell me more about EC Powder ? It should be a blank firing powder (source Wikipedia).
What is the composition of this powder ? Is EC a powder class or the manufacturers acronym ?...
Reading the BOCN rules, answer me by PM, please.

Thanks

Yoda

A little history regarding EC powder.

It was a smokeless propellent invented at the Explosives Company of Stowmarket, England, and patented in 1882 under English Patent No. 619. It was called EC (Explosives Company) Powder, and was too fast burning for rifled weapons, but suitable for use in shotguns.

In the USA, EC powders were manufactured towards the end of the 19th Century by the EC and Schultze Gunpowder Co. Ltd at Oakland, New Jersey - until the plant was destroyed by fire in 1900.

In World War I it was considered as a suitable propellant for use in trench mortars.

In 1937, EC Blank Fire Powder was evaluated at the Picatinny Arsenal as an alternative bursting charge in fragmentation grenades such as the MkII. It was subsequently adopted for use.

Tom.

Last edited:
Actually you missed the first filler, TGP - Trojan Grenade Powder which was a high explosive commonly called Nitrostarch. It was the filler used in the MK I grenade and it carried over to the early versions of the MK II.

And similar Nitro Starch powder was loaded in the 3" Stokes mortar, 2.15 lbs. Cheers, Bruce.