What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Lemons

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi, The M26 style grenade is a particular interest of mine. There were a lot of variations trialed in the 1950's & 60's, as a replacement for the MkIIAI.

This is the earliest example I have. Note the central join is folded downwards and there are no visible notches on the frag coil (the coil could be un-notched or they could be facing outwards). Cheers Colin

Attachments

• US M26 early 4 bocn.jpg
    US M26 early 4 bocn.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Hello Colin,

Here is a photo of an Early U.S. M26 (Inert) that I have. The body is dated 8-53 and it has an un-notched frag coil. Also note the Early M204A1 Fuze and Lever. Also a black colored asbestos sealing washer between the fuze and body.

Stay Safe,

Frank

4twmd0.jpg

Also a view from the base of the un-notched frag. coil and fixed copper detonator well.

2nullec.jpg

Hi,

What a fantastic example (complete with two sets of lots numbers). Can you make out what both sets of lot numbers were?

Cheers
Colin

The absolute worst U.S. Lemon I ever had was a 1971 Ford Pinto, complete with exploding gas tank and 4 self destructing Firestone radial 500 tires!!! Dano

Hi Dano,
Here's another US lemon that will probably rival your Pinto. It was obviously a blind, with the fuze well having been blown out. Then there's the second attempt to make it go bang (indentations around the middle from the det cord). Despite all of that effort it still sits on my shelf. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• m61 4bocn.jpg
    m61 4bocn.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 125
Rotten Lemon

I love it Colin, What a conversation piece. At least the Pinto worked! Seriously Colin that would be a beauty in any collection...Dano

surplus circuit cast iron knockoffs!

Hi gijunkman, I as you have never seen a good US lemon, That is beside the cheap cast iron knockoffs on the surplus store circuit. I've even been coinsidering buying one of these rubbish grenades and painting it up like an original lemon for a filler piece!..Dano

Hi,

What a fantastic example (complete with two sets of lots numbers). Can you make out what both sets of lot numbers were?

Cheers
Colin

The visible nomenclature (Applied Twice) is as follows:

GRENADE HAND M26
COMP B LS-17-38 8-53.

It appears that there is also a separate set of model / lot nomenclature, that was covered over at one time with a slightly darker shade of OD Paint. I believe that the covered nomenclature was factory "masked over" and the visible nomenclature was later applied for whatever reason, possibly an updated model designation or fuze?

Although the visible manufacture date is 8-53, this example was actually issued, carried and rendered Inert in Vietnam during the mid 1960's, before being brought home by a serviceman as a souvenir.

Stay safe,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the nomenclature. I have a few photo's (from EBay I think) of similar grenades, but they're dated a couple of months later (11 - 53). I'm interested in tracking how the Lot numbers progressed.

Cheers
Colin

Hello Colin,

Great! The only other M26 Series Lot Number that I am aware of is for an M26A1: LS- 50 -47 Dated 10-68. Has an M204A2 Fuse Dated 9-68 and the later type notched type frag. coil.

Stay safe!

90vc4g.jpg

jkhf8l.jpg

Fantastic pics fellows thanks for the info. Dano, I've thought about the cast fakes, but have decided that if I can't have a real one, I'd never be happy with the fake.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hi, Great photo of the frag coil, so it is notched on the outside (I won't have to pull mine apart to find out:tinysmile_shy_t:). From the photo's I have it looks like the lot numbers progressed from LS-17-38 in August 1953 to LS-19-9 in September 1954. I've attached a photo of a shipping container marked LS-17-174. The 3 digit second part to the lot number does not seem to get carried over onto the grenades??? Also attached is a couple of file photo's of one that sold on Ebay a while back.

As for making a repro as a gap filler, I have a nicely stenciled repro attached to a M1A2 adapter. You can't put a real M26 into an adapter, as it dents the sides. A good reason to go to the effort of putting one together, that looks and works great.

Cheers Colin

Attachments

• 1 26.jpg
    1 26.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1 26_1.jpg
    1 26_1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 26_2.jpg
    1 26_2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 71
Heres one i used to own a few years back untill i decided to sell of a lot of my post 2ww grens. It was completely unmarked (even on the lever) and had no signs of the base cap being prised of so i presume it had never been filled. The coil inside was not notched or had them on the outside.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page11M26.jpg
    Page11M26.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Page11M26fragcoil.jpg
    Page11M26fragcoil.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 66
Looks great Paul. Here's one I sold on EBay a few years back (and have regretted it ever since). Cheers Colin

Attachments

• m56 4 BOCN.jpg
    m56 4 BOCN.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 104
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it better to bring this one back then to start a new one considerng the great pics that are already in here! If anyone else has any pics of their Lemons, please post them!

I wanted to show my four US Lemons, my obsession when it comes to inert ord! I got bitched at just the other day by my "girlfriend" for looking at them too often and not at her often enough! Jealous of inanimant objects, it never ends!

Anyway, from left to right we have two M26's and two M56's. The M56 on the far right is a factory unfinished example, never painted or crimped.

Eventually I hope to find a marked 26A1, 56 and 61 to complete the set. I already have 3 of the cans too, just need an M56 can.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Attachments

• DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00103.jpg
    DSC00103.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 89
Great thread, pics and thanks for bringing up the original thread.
THAT'S the it's SUPPOSED to be done.
GOOD job GTR!

Hey Dano. Yours made up for mine, which I turbocharged and made many 8,000 rpm+ runs in the high13s and 100 mph in the quarter mile. Tore up the altinators though.