What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US MK5 30lb Fragmentation Bomb, One Millionth Produced

mkubes

Picked this up the other day, attached is picture of it's presentation to Lt Col David N Hauseman (Later Brig. General) by Edward Budd.

Still mounted on wood base with engraved plate. Someones painted it all silver.

Looks like in presentation it was metallic with black fins. The big question is,

1. Leave it as is
2. Paint as it appears in picture.
3. Paint as a production bomb would have been painted

Any thoughts?

FRAG_BOMB.jpg

Does your bomb look like the one in the photo, silvery body and darker fins? The photo makes your bomb valuable. If it looks like the one in the photo and you have some proof that yours is the one in the photo, then I wouldn't change it. These things aren't impossible to find. If you want a service painted one, look around and get one that doesn't have a history.

It is the one in the photo, The engraved plate id's it, purchased it from great grandson of Hauseman. Temple University has the picture in their archives, and they note a "clipping". I'll call them Monday and get print and hopefully a copy of clipping. Easy to find info on Hauseman. Edward Budd has an interesting history as well. I'll get some close-ups of it posted tomorrow.

That item is truly "one in a million" (sorry, I couldn't resist) and quite valuable. I would leave it exactly as is except for a careful wipe down to stop deterioration. Congratulations on a fantastic piece!
Pat

Here is another, an M47 incendiary/chemical bomb. Sorry, no desk plaque. Not sure that it makes it more "valuable", but it certainly adds to the history. As always I say leave it alone.

DSCN1822.jpg

Correction MK 5 20lb + Add. Pictures

Picked this up the other day, attached is picture of it's presentation to Lt Col David N Hauseman (Later Brig. General) by Edward Budd.

Still mounted on wood base with engraved plate. Someones painted it all silver.

Looks like in presentation it was metallic with black fins. The big question is,

1. Leave it as is
2. Paint as it appears in picture.
3. Paint as a production bomb would have been painted

Any thoughts?

View attachment 51347

Additional Pictures

Attachments

• P3210140.jpg
    P3210140.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P3210139.JPG
    P3210139.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
If it was chromed then painted over I'd say "gently" remove the tacky silver paint and refurbish it to it's original trophy presentation
Looks like it would disassemble rather easy (It's definitly a one of a kind)

I was waiting for your close-up photos before commenting, can I suggest that your bomb is actually an AN-M41 20lb frag? The MK5 was actually a slightly larger diameter/length frag bomb, with a tapered tail boom that makes it look distinctively different from the M41. The M41s are fairly common - but hard to find, the MK5s are rarely seen.

hi guys,

a quick stop in Germany witth family for Easter. this M47 bomb really fascinates me. Jeff, could you please tell me if the pic in your post is Budd Co.'s 1 millionth bomb or whose? I ve only seen pics of Budd and the M41 cluster. correct me if i am wrong. id really like to know about development and manufacture of the M47. a friend has told me they were all destroeyed by the 50s but DoD Appropriations show that they were being procured unti around 74.

if anybody can help me that would be great. thanks.
Drago.

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://explorepahistory.com/kora/files/1/2/1-2-E6F-25-ExplorePAHistory-a0k0f5-a_349.jpg&imgrefurl=http://explorepahistory.com/displayimage.php%3FimgId%3D1-2-E6F&usg=__QKvKIeB0bNWiO9KFqHFSOY8trSw=&h=2100&w=1546&sz=353&hl=de&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=8LMVM0TjZCHEQM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=97&ei=Z1BnT7rjE8bWsgaKlqDLBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbudd%2Bco.%2B1%2Bmillionth%2Bbomb%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dde%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D624%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=416&sig=101875631334641022369&page=1&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=65&ty=33

Here is another, an M47 incendiary/chemical bomb. Sorry, no desk plaque. Not sure that it makes it more "valuable", but it certainly adds to the history. As always I say leave it alone.

View attachment 51349