What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Naval Laser Weapon Test

Despite its purpoted ineffectivnes in taking out fast moving missles and fighters, I sure wouldn't want to see that shining at me. Was it Russia back in the day who "lased" some USAF pilots, causing blindness and severe health problems for these guys?

Don't believe everything you read. We began this program in the 1980s under Star Wars, and the USN shot down their first missile with MIRACL at HELSTF while Reagan was still in office. Information on unclassified progress of the program has been on display at the WSMR museum since the early 90s.

Here is a target from one of the tests done at White Sands in the late '80s. So yea, the laser thing has been going on for a while.

IMG_0180 (960x1280) (800x296).jpg

I"ve only been left to believe(through the media) that star wars and other systems around that time were more powerfull than this newer system. I myself believed the statements are just hiding the true potential of the new laser with the effectiveness of tracking such as what is incorporated in modern close in weapons systems. Thats why I said I'd still hate to be on the wrong end of this in any situation. As for the Russian laser attack on pilots thing, I remember reading this back in the 80's. I think it was a system designed to actually affect the pilot rather than take down the aircraft. I don't remember all the details but remember that one pilots' vision was severely permanently disabled and I think there was trauma leading to severe debilitating migranes and such for both. I will check myself if there is any reference to this old story unless someone else can confirm the validity of this story. Maybe I'm loosing my marbles but I don't usually make up stories unless it's about the size of the fish I caught. Cheers, SHAKY.
Oh and Slick. Cool test target you have there.

Last edited:
Blinding lasers are banned now as far as I know (what does not mean that they may or will be used). The Brits used them in the Falklands against the Argentinians.

The latest Rheinmetall laser seems to be the most inovative in recent times.

As said before, there must be lots of confidentiality and we can only guess about the real cababilities of lasers which are being tested today.