What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US soldiers fighting German armor with British Ammunition

jeff w

I finally found some AP ammunition expenditure numbers for US Army units firing British ammo and was really surprised by how much and what.

For just US First Army;

6 pdr APDS -
June 6, 44 - July 31st, 44 - 6302 rounds.
Aug 1, 44 - Feb 22, 45 - 3925 rounds
Feb 22, 45 - May 8, 45 - 1201 rounds

So roughly 7.5% of all 57mm ATG AP ammunition fired by US troops in First Army was APDS.

25 pounder AP Shot (what?!) -
Aug 1, 44 - Feb 22,45 - 216 rounds
none after Feb 22.

Man I'd love to hear more about how those 25 pounder engagements went, what they were shooting at, and what the GIs thought of the 25 pounder in the anti-tank gun role. Although "expenditure" doesn't necessarily mean in combat.

Last edited:
Tony I am sure you meant the 25Pr used the additional Red? super charge increment on top of the card wad to achieve this extra velocity.
I am sure I have one somewhere in the collection. 20Pr as you know is a different case and a fixed round.
I realise now you meant that the AP projectile weighed 20lbs. Sorry. (Not the 20 Lb Tank round).

Last edited:
The 25 pr ap shot weighed 20 lbs but should be called the 25 pr AP shot to avoid confusion!

Here is my 20 pound, 25 pounder AP Shot. I should get an acrylic spacer for my display to indicate separately loaded. I like the way Dick Taylor has it illustrated.
It does not have any manufacturer markings that I can find, just a broad arrow on the band. Is that pretty typical for these or is mine probably buried under corrosion and paint?

IMG_4201.jpgIMG_4202.jpg

Last edited: