What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Travel Suggestions?

RogueAdventurer

Premium Member
G'day all,

I will be travelling to the US in early September for 8-10 weeks. At this stage I will be in California in early September, then attending a Long Mountain Foreign Weapon Operator/Armorer course and another company's AK operator course in mid-September. After the 20th September or so, I should be in Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Virginia, and then DC. I am also considering a brief stop in Arizona.

Should anyone have any suggestions for any ordnance, cartridge or firearms-related travel stops (anywhere in the States) please let me know.

Cheers!

There are some nice museums around,like the liberty museum in Kansas city lots of WW1 stuff,or maybe amberdine proving grounds museum.
I dont no if thats what you had in mind or not but there it is.Enjoy
vinny
ps. Spelling was not my favorite class

Aberdeen no longer exists, nor does Picatinny, formerly the two best ordnance museums in the US.

Keep in mind that the US is a very large country, and travel off your planned route can add up quickly. A couple of the best in the areas you mentioned are the Naval Museum at China Lake in California, Missile Park at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico and the Air Force Armament Museum in northern Florida. Also in the area in Florida is the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, the Rocket and Space Museum in Huntsville Alabama, Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, Georgia, Army Aviation at Ft. Rucker Alabama, etc. There are also many good museums further north, but it sounded like you are keeping a southern route.

Hope I am not too late! Aberdeen's fine collection of historical armor, artillery and large rockets were moved to Danville, Virginia. the website is www.aaftankmuseum.com

I have not visited since the collection was moved to Virginia.

They claim to have the largest single tank collection in the world. It appears they also received Aberdeen's enourmous small arms collection - which I certainly enjoyed while growing up; the number of inoperable small arms in that museum was enough to make one's eyes glaze over in short order.

There were also numerous displays of cut-away munitions. Likely worth the trip.

If you are in Arizona, have a look at the reference collection in Flagstaff.
My US cell: 1-307-262-8701
Mrfuze, USA