What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WW1 1.457 'Unusual' Shell Case.

Jagd301

The WW1 US 1.457 inch Sub-Calibre shell casing i have is it seems even paining the experts as the case dimensions and construction of this one is different to nearly all others encountered. The case is 142mm long (deffinately not 145mm) and has an unusual belt, not a deformity caused by some sort of fault as i had thought. I also thought this case had a central screw in type primer but i was wrong as no threads in the small primer hole. Headstampings are as follows: L 3063 1.457 In Subcal Gun, FA 1915. There is also a kind of fork shaped symbol. Might this have been some form of experimental 37mm????? Would like some ideas as every case i have seen of this type has no case belt yet mine does??? Regards, Tim.

There was an experimental 37mm with a small belt, but I can't confirm without a photo.

37mm auto gun E2

The 37 mm Browning Auto Gun E2 had a very small belt but was only 123-127mm long. It was normally marked 37mm Auto Gun E2, And was still being loaded as late as 1935. Earlier cases may have been modified to make the original cases. There was a rimmed E1 and I have seen one wih only half a rim, so variations were made. Need to see a photo.

Saintlo990

The attachment shows the three case types Saintlo990 was refering to. The belted case headstamp is 37M/M MOD E2 AUTO GUN AM. LOT 617 LOT 1 F.A. D-1-6. The fully rimmed case in the center is headstamped: 37 M/M MOD. E1 COLT AUTO GUN AM. LOT LOT NO. 1 F.A. The half rimmed case has the same headstamp as the rimmed case. The comparison round is a Russian 37x94mm. The projectiles in the E1's and E2 are incorrect I think. This is how I got the rounds and my interest was in the case types not the projectiles.

Attachments

• 37mm E1, E2.jpg
    37mm E1, E2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 85
The attachment shows the three case types Saintlo990 was refering to. The belted case headstamp is 37M/M MOD E2 AUTO GUN AM. LOT 617 LOT 1 F.A. D-1-6. The fully rimmed case in the center is headstamped: 37 M/M MOD. E1 COLT AUTO GUN AM. LOT LOT NO. 1 F.A. The half rimmed case has the same headstamp as the rimmed case. The comparison round is a Russian 37x94mm. The projectiles in the E1's and E2 are incorrect I think. This is how I got the rounds and my interest was in the case types not the projectiles.

I think you'll find the projectile in your comparison round is Italian rather than Russian although the case may be Russian.

BD

Could be, I don't have a good reference to either Italian or German WWI projectiles. The case is German and they came together. Most of the rounds of this period are mismatches though so I am always leary. Couldn't complain on this one since it was given to me years ago. Thanks for the point in the right direction.

If you can post images of the projectiles

out of the case and any markings it should be easy to sort. The other wide banded projectile is a Hotchkiss type also, more details and it should be easy to Id also. I show some of these in various views in my album, you might find them there also.

Well, my mind is off in left field someplace. I was doing some research on a German item andwhen I answered previously I said the case was German. It is not...it is Russian. After looking at your postings I can plainly see the projectile is Italian. There are no marks on the projectile and only an "FG" and a stylized ordnance bomb on the base of the fuze, but they are both identical to yours. I only have one Ialian 37mm item and no cases to put the projectile in. I will separate them since they do not belong. The item I have is a sectioned incendiary projectile. Thanks for setting me straight! I'll study your album to see what other problems I have. You have some superb items!!

Attachments

• Italian 37mm 2.jpg
    Italian 37mm 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Italian 37mm.jpg
    Italian 37mm.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 46
Sectioned Italian

That is amazing, I hope Highland Otter sees this. ~

Lots of experts on this site on 37mm -- I don't think anything can escape identification for long.

Italian incendary projectile

Hello. This is a great piece. It is exactly as shown in Bruno Marcuzzo's book
Munizioni D' Artigiera Italiana 1915-1918.It goes in either the 94R case or the 201R case which is similar to the French case of the same size. I have one and have seen photos of a few others.Quite a scarce projectile, especially sectioned with all the internals.