What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WWII 105mm 1943 Dated M67 HEAT Projectile

M8owner

Here is something new for my collection. I have never seen one before, and I believe I have seen a post here where one of our European members has been on the hunt for this item for many years. It arrived in the proper tootsie roll labeled for an M67 round. It did not come with a Type II casing, but that is Ok. The condition is so nice, I was originally thinking it had been repainted. Upon closer examination now, I am thinking it is all original, and it has been sitting preserved in its tootsie for many years waiting for me. The metal cone is missing. It is filled with what looks like a bakelite filler that has cracked. All the cracked pieces of filler were in there. No fuse, only a plug; my initial efforts to remove the plug failed. It is marked as "inert loaded" in the middle photo.

The attached photos are posted for your viewing pleasure.

Steve

105mm HEAT.jpgphoto (10).JPGphoto (11).JPGphoto (12).JPGphoto (13).JPG

tootsie roll.pngThis is one type of tootsie roll. Chocolate goodness with corn syrup to make it chewy.

Last edited:
Allan,I believe he is referring to the tar impregnated cardboard tube that the U.S. packaged all of the older ammunition in. It's a long black tube, that would kind of look like a Tootsie Roll.

Steve, the paint below the rotating band looks real, but it has been repainted and relettered above the band. It might be the work of Marshall Morgan's repainter or someone else. With real paint, the lettering is rolled on with a rubber stamp and isn't so perfect. Also, the color below the band should match the color above the band.

Last edited:
Allan,I believe he is referring to the tar impregnated cardboard tube that the U.S. packaged all of the older ammunition in. It's a long black tube, that would kind of look like a Tootsie Roll.

Thanks for explaining Hazord
I have never heard of nor seen a tootsie roll so had no clue not even with the picture of one that M8 posted

That is quite an eye you have John. I could not see the difference in paint above and below the rotating band until you mentioned it. I was about to tell you that you are full of ****. Then I could see it. The lettering is too perfect. I could not get it to come out so well, if I tried to do it myself.

photo (14).JPGphoto (15).JPG

I am quite surprised that I have to explain the term "tootsie roll" on BOCN. It is the only thing we ever called artillery ammunition containers in the US Army during the 80's.

It was the first time I had heard it.

You know when I look at the one photo you show, viewing into the projectile from the top, looking at where the cone would be, I'm observing that the filler that you say is bakelite, actually looks like cast TNT/Comp-B. The color and powdery surface look like the real thing.

I've seen these projectiles filled with plaster before, and if it is cracked like you say, it is most likely plaster.

View attachment 108363View attachment 108364

I am quite surprised that I have to explain the term "tootsie roll" on BOCN. It is the only thing we ever called artillery ammunition containers in the US Army during the 80's.

It was just a simple question i asked ,as i am Not American i do not know about nicknames of US Army containers , personally i have never heard of a tootsie roll but Hazord made it clear what it was you meant.

Like John, I'd never heard that reference for the shipping tube(s). As well, I assumed the Tootsie Roll candy was universally known. Like Coke. Mus' ain't.

I accept full responsibility for the miss understanding. Up until today, I would have assumed that tootsie roll was a universal term that had been used thousands of times on this site. You now what they say about making assumptions (I am making another assumption that everyone knows the old saying about assumptions.)

Well, this is one of the forums where I learn something new every day. Nothing wrong with that.

I have to agree with HAZORD about the picture from the inside that it looks very much like the real NOT inert filling. In the years I have worked in the proving facility I have opened lots of these projectiles and it sure looks real to me.

Hans

Steve,

We are thinking that filler is the real deal. Plaster doesn't powder up like that. Carefully take a tiny bit of that powder and see if Acetone will dissolve it. If it completely dissolves, it isn't plaster. Also, the real thing burns. Don't test any more than a match-head sized amount.

If this was a real service round, as the paint below the rotating band indicates, someone could have removed the fuze to "Inert" it, and filled the fuzewell with a plug. The Russians are known for taking HE loaded Service rounds, and painting them like inert practice rounds.

Last edited:
You can also taste it. Just swipe your finger over the filler, and place it on your tongue. If you taste an overwhemingly bitter sensation you may have the "real stuff".

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
TNT is listed as a carcinogen and toxic, if you need a reason not to taste it.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve,

If this was a real service round, as the paint below the rotating band indicates, someone could have removed the fuze to "Inert" it, and filled the fuzewell with a plug. The Russians are known for taking HE loaded Service rounds, and painting them like inert practice rounds.

I don't think the fuze is replaced, there was a version with tracer witch protruded from the base and without tracer witch is flush with the base of the shell with 2 keyholes as visible in the photo.

Hans

The flat base plug should be stamped with the M62 or M62A1 fuze ID if it is a fuze. Does the base plug have anything stamped into it?

Last edited:
I tried the burn test twice, there was no evidence of the material burning. The base plug has no markings.