What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WWII 76mm M62A1 Projectile on M26 Casing (British?)

M8owner

I finally found the proper WWII dated brass casing to go with this projectile that I have posted on this site previously - just in time so that I can fondle it while watching the movie Fury. I could not find one in the US. A nice gentleman in the Netherlands sent it to me. However, it does not look normal to me. It looks more like a British shell casing due to the lack of a US ordnance stamp and those little arrows that seem to adorn most British shell casings. I have seen evidence that US 75mm shell casings were made in the UK during the war. It seems our allies across the pond did the same with the 76mm M26 casings?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Steve

76mm 2.jpg76mm.jpg

Hi Steve,

This case was made in Canada, so went through the usual British Commonwealth inspection process of that time. I have been told that we, and the Canadians, did use the gun for this round, mounted in some sort of AFV. Whether the projectiles used were British, Canadian or all from the USA, I don't know. The cases turn up here sometimes, but have never been lucky enough to find the proper projectile, alas!

Regards,
Roger.