What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WWII era 3.25" Radio Proximity Nose Fuze?

condor

I really don't know what this, but I would REALLY like to. It's construction appears to be very 1940s-ish technology. It appears to be a radio proximity fuze (VT). OD is 3.25" and OAL is 15.5". Nose cone is made completely of brass, which radio waves wouldn't pass through, but it does have a clear plastic window that runs the circumference of the fuze about 2 inches from the threaded base. Base does contain an electrical plug. Photos attached show the fuze disassembled. The electrical components within the fuze are marked "Made in the USA". The fuze does contain batteries, which would have powered it. I believe the artillery projectile VT fuzes started out being designed with batteries, but they ran into shelf-life issues, so they went to the glass ampules that contained acid to generate the required electrical current to power the fuze. It makes sense to me that a rocket VT fuze would not have the required set-back G-force necessary to break a glass ampule, so batteries would be required. Nose cone is brass, mid-body section and base are made of steel. Internal components are made of brass and bakelite. Mid-body section is stamped in red ink "189", and many of the internal components is also marked with the same number, which I assume to be a serial number, so the components could be matched. Mid-body is also marked "PERF" and "AR". Could "AR" be Aircraft Rocket? There was a 3.5" Forward Firing Aircraft Rocket (FFAR) that was used by the US during WWII, and its rocket motor was 3.25", which is the same diameter of this fuze. Could it be for this rocket? If anyone can chime in and educate me on what I've got here, it would be very much appreciated! I love a good mystery........but I love finding out even more!! I am going to post this in the "Rocket" section as well. Thanks in advance!

20230526_151034.jpg

20230526_151054.jpg

20230526_151123.jpg

20230526_151149.jpg

20230526_151335.jpg