What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA Mk2 grenade question...

Nismosonic

I have just acquired a US Mk2 gremade with fuze... Fuze is a overstamped M10A1 to M10A3, K in circle- bottom of spoon marked PMC 41. grenade body is late type with solid bottom, much original olive paint, stamped "C" on one piece and "T" on another imediately below, there is another mark on rear quarter of "O".
Under the olive paint it appears that grenade may have been dipped in tar or bitumen, this is uniformly around whole body, just not as thick on the top. Anyone seen this before ? unable to post pic at present, may do latter if required.

Nismosonic,

Did you do a "search" first on that question? The reason why I ask is because I believe this subject has been hit on a few times, especially on the fuze and handle nomenclature.

Hi V40... Know about the overstamped M10A1's to be honest... just being thorough as regards to what I have... not seen anything on the tar/bitumen overpainted bodies before, thats more so what i was inquiring about.
It looks legit.

I have just acquired a US Mk2 gremade with fuze... Fuze is a overstamped M10A1 to M10A3, K in circle- bottom of spoon marked PMC 41. grenade body is late type with solid bottom, much original olive paint, stamped "C" on one piece and "T" on another imediately below, there is another mark on rear quarter of "O".
Under the olive paint it appears that grenade may have been dipped in tar or bitumen, this is uniformly around whole body, just not as thick on the top. Anyone seen this before ? unable to post pic at present, may do latter if required.

The K in a circle on the fuse means it was made by Eastman-Kodak, and the PMC 41 more than likely states the year it was made . The markings on the casting I'm not sure about. A photo could help. Hope this little bit helps.

The numbers stamped or marked at the M10 or M6 fuze series are not the year of production, just production numbers. And yes, a picture of the grenade would be great.

Photo of body as requested showing markings... This is a solid body, no plug.

Attachments

• DSC_0684.jpg
    DSC_0684.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 69
Well, your pic is not the best pic ever done, but the black thing it could be red paint turned black. Many red practice grenades were overpainted green for use them in combat.

Attachments

• Gr MKII OD Over Red.jpg
    Gr MKII OD Over Red.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 77
Yeah... pic is rubbish... ive attached another. C and T Marked. anyone know maker ?

Attachments

• DSC_0686.jpg
    DSC_0686.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 85
Yeah... pic is rubbish... ive attached another. C and T Marked. anyone know maker ?

Your "C" marked pineapple was made by the "Crane Co." Besides the "T" and "O" markings like on yours, "C" marked grenade bodies will also be seen with other number and/or letter combinations which I believe are the Lot markings. The Crane Co. is not a rare maker as Miguel has said, but they are one of the very few known WW2 contractors for grenade bodies. It's odd to me, but you will also see many, many "C" Crane Co. bodies used for blue trainers during WW2, some with a threaded hole on bottom, and some with just a hole, no threads. There was a thread about all this a while back

The majority of WW2 pineapple grenade body makers are not known, but some others I know of are "AF" for American Fireworks Co. ...."L" inside or not inside a diamond, for the "Littletown Foundry"..... a square "G" for the "Grabler Co." known as "the Square G Co." (like the grenade in the middle Miguel shows above)....... "ARco" for "American Radiator Co"..... there are also a few other makers known, but I don't have access to a makers list I have as I'm traveling now.

..... a square "G" for the "Grabler Co." known as "the Square G Co." (like the grenade in the middle Miguel shows above).......

I was of the understanding that the square "G" was Gorham Silver Co. as the were makers of the first MK I bodies and carried on through the early MK II bodies. Does anyone have a solid reference on that?

"Square Gee Co." or "Gorham" grenades

I was of the understanding that the square "G" was Gorham Silver Co. as the were makers of the first MK I bodies and carried on through the early MK II bodies. Does anyone have a solid reference on that?

Hi Mike, good question, sorry, I missed this post, trying today to catch up on my emails, been a bit busy this year with some family crises.

You could very well be right, but I believe the Gorham Silver Co. G markings were not square shaped font? not sure though, I don't have one in my collection, and don't recall what they look like. I could again be wrong though, with foot in mouth like the very interesting RFX "Holy Grail" thread.

I have no 100% solid reference except the picture I show below, and I was told from a very knowledgeable longtime pineapple collector that square shape G marked bodies were made by the Grabler Co. As I'm sure you know there are not too many pineapple maker marks that are known from solid reference sources.

The Grabler Mfg. Co. of Cleveland Ohio, made malleable iron pipe fittings and such, so it would make sense they may have been contracted to make grenade bodies. They were definitely known by the nickname "Square Gee Co."
The square shape font of the "G"' on this body and many other bodies seems to make sense to me.

Here's a Dec. 1922 advertisement I found a while back that could be of some interest and help. The square "G" in this picture looks very similar to the G on the grenade being discussed and the others we see often.

Attachments

• Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 23