What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usage BDU-28/B

Here I come again, the asker of the most "bone headed" questions. Anyway this is the US 1966 dated BDU-28/B Dummy submunition and never did quite understand the usage. How was the live version used? I assume it was aircraft dropped and the little chamber held sub balls. Did it explode on contact with ground. In a nutshell I have no clue as to the application so if someone would be so kind as to explain it to me in a 1st grade primer format I would be forever indebted. I did try the google but got more confused the more I read. HELP please...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 919.jpg
    Picture 919.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 13
Dano,

First of all, the photo you show has the BDU resting on its fins. The fins are made to orient it during its drop to earth, so that the fuze functions.

On the BLU versions, the body (which is orange on your copy) is made up of a matrix of metal and BBs. The cavity on the inside is filled with explosive, which is detonated on impact, scattering the metal body and BBs at high velocity.

Last edited:
A big fat THANKYOU to John and Justin for having the patience and fortitude to explain something to me which should have been and will be from now on, second nature. I did have a half assed idea but this fully educates me on its use. I now assume this would be more of a correct to display? Thanks again gents.........Dano

Attachments

• Picture 920.jpg
    Picture 920.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
F=

I use to have a film I found on the internet showing them being released by an F-100 Super Saber with a camera showing them being released from the rear. Very, very interresting on they way they fell.

Anybody have that short film?