What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usn 1.1" apc

SG500

Premium Member
The attached photographs of a round from a friends collection shows a 1.1 USN round with an APC projectile.
I am familiar with the HE and HE drill rounds and even the 1.1/20 fuze test round but have never seen any information on the APC version. Does anyone else have examples or information about it?
Dave.

Attachments

• 29th April 2010 074.jpg
    29th April 2010 074.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 29th April 2010 075.jpg
    29th April 2010 075.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 29th April 2010 076.jpg
    29th April 2010 076.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 29th April 2010 077.jpg
    29th April 2010 077.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 109
Hello Dave,

THANKS for allowing us to see this RARE bird! I also can't recall ever seeing documentation describing an APC example. VERY NICE!

Best regards,

Randall

Interesting. Somewhere I have a copy of USN ammo pages on the 1.1", they list and show sectioned drawings of the HE and HE-T but no mention of AP.

Correction: HET and HET-SD

Last edited:
Nice bullet Dave! Anything with a rotating band is scarce here in the states, especially the stuff that isn't in the books.

Dave,

I also have an example of the APC round for the 1.1 inch. It is in the center of the attached picture and I have unscrewed the aluminum nose cap. My rotating band is stamped 1.10 A.A. PROJ. TYPE J. This is followed by an "M" in a circle and the numbers 42. The same information is stamped into the based of the projectile. There is a 10mm diameter cavity that extends about 40mm up into the projectile. Tracer cavity??? Not sure if the case is a match to it or not. The headstamp is F.S.C. 7-42 1.10 Mk I 75 Cal. R.R.A. and the Navy anchor. This was obviously an experimental projectile so it could well have been loaded in available cases with various headstamps. Like you, I have never found any reference to the projectile or to any "TYPE" designations in the 1.1-inch rounds. It is a nice round though.

Bob

Attachments

• 1.1 inch.jpg
    1.1 inch.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 143
Thanks Bob, nice line up of 1.1" rounds.
Its good to know there's another one out there.
Dave.

1.1 usn

Very nice rounds but are some of the bands made of brass or are they another copper alloy? 2pr

All of the rotating bands are copper alloy. The color rendition of the photo leaves a little to be desired. Plus one of the dummy rounds is completely lacquered so that one appears a little different. Sorry, no experimental rotating bands!!! Bob

I recently picked up these two examples, and my attention was immediately drawn to the roatating bands.

The bands are flush with the projectile bodies.

However, when looking at EODGUY's above image of the three cartridges on the left hand side, it would appear that I am not alone.

Is this normal; are my examples dummy/drill rounds?

1175.jpg

Hi well done for finding them. Yes its normal for the drill rounds.
Dave.

A pic of my 1.1" drill (though not marked) and a drawing from the collection,by R.Leiendecker, of your AP round.Unfortunately no further info.
1.1drill.JPG

1.10 ap.jpg

...could even be the same as EODGUYS round!

cheers
Bob

Last edited: