What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN 20mm

orcutteod

Ten years ago I pick this USN 20mm shell up at a local gun show. And I haven't seen another one for sale anywhere. I never thought of it being a hard round to find but maybe it is.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3960.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3958.JPG
    IMG_3958.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3959.JPG
    IMG_3959.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 47
1950/60's vintage, used only for a few years, replaced by the USAF's 20mm, which we know as the 20x102 (20 Vulcan) during a standardization process.

Well ,used from the '50s in aircraft like the Skyray,Crusader and particularly the Skyhawk. So a good service of 50+ years!
Still possibly in production. Has been manufactured in France,Singapore and i think Argentina, as well as USA.
The round was used in the MK.12 cannon, basically a developed Hispano,with electric priming.
Iv'e seen plenty of these recently on Ebay, though they are often mis-described as vulcan rounds.

Cheers
Bob

The round was based on the 20x102 and has the same diameter, but was stretched by a few mm to match the older 20x110 Hispano in overall length. Yes, it was mainly used in the MK.12 which is an adapted Hispano HS.404, but it was also used in the strange MK.11 double-barreled revolver cannon, which was only used in a gunpod.

The A4 Skyhawk was its last surviving home (and there are still a few of those around) but as far as I can see the ammo probably isn't made any more.

I did not realise the round was no longer made. I had a friend who worked on the MKII double barrel revolver cannon. And I remember the problems he told me about on this gun system. Anyhow thanks for all the info.