What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USN 5"/54 Projectile

raymeketa

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I had this photo handy after posting it on another forum so I thought I'd share it here. One of my restoration projects.

Ray
5-54proj.jpg

Thats an awesome resto Ray....how did you do your stencilling?

I have a 5" 38cal, seems much squatter than the 54cal projectile, or is it just an optical illusion?

pzjgr

The 5"/54 is 15 pounds heavier and 5 inches longer than the 5"/38. The lettering wasn't stenciled on the originals. It was rolled on with a rubber stamp. I applied mine using a "reverse" method - painting the white background, sticking on die cut letters and numbers, spray painting it all green, and then removing the letter and numbers.

Ray

pzjgr

The 5"/54 is 15 pounds heavier and 5 inches longer than the 5"/38. The lettering wasn't stenciled on the originals. It was rolled on with a rubber stamp. I applied mine using a "reverse" method - painting the white background, sticking on die cut letters and numbers, spray painting it all green, and then removing the letter and numbers.

Ray

Cool, actually that is the way I use to "re-stencil" my restorations too. I know someone on IAA posted a link to a nifty stamping set that is almost like a printers ype set, where you can position letter/number stamps in a frame, the roll your projectile over the inked stamps...but I have never picked one up, I just stick with the reverse paining....

I have used the stick on letters in the past, but would like to get to doing the rubber letter kits. Is there a chance you could forward that link, as I'm not familiar with that site?

I have used the stick on letters in the past, but would like to get to doing the rubber letter kits. Is there a chance you could forward that link, as I'm not familiar with that site?

I will see if I can find it, or at least find the thread over there and post it...

The link for the IAA is

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/index.php

Another great forum, but more SAA oriented...

ETA Here is a link to the thread on restoration there...with the stamp set info.

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6048&hilit=stencilling

Last edited:
HAZORD

If you Google "ribtype" it will lead you to their site and catalog. They sell everything you will need. If you plan to do more than one or two projectiles with different sizes and types of letters/number, it can get to be costly. That's why most re-storers prefer the stick on letters that you can get in most hobby stores.

Her's a bigger link but I'm not sure it still works:

www.ribtype.com/ribtypestyles

Ray

stamps

when I worked in aerospace all the sheet metal was stamped with codes using rubber letter stamps made up into the codes on a ribbed holder. Font was basic and came in about 3 sizes. you need to cut bits out to make them look like stencils. Tricky to get right on conical surfaces. See my 25pr HE in classifieds thats how the red crosses were done. 2pr

U.S. Naval 5" shells...

Hello pzjgr,

Here's a photograph that shows the size relationship of the 5"/25, 5"/38 & 5"/54 shells.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for posting the ribtype info and the article on lettering!

Randall, what the hell is that 120mm AAA round doing in there?