What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V1 Flying Bomb part (gyro)

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I picked this V1 'Flying Bomb' part up recently and thought I would share it with everyone.

This is a V1 gyro (minus its housing) - somewhat damaged, but in a way I like it the more for being that way.

It has obviously been taken apart at some point in its history.
The gyro worked on compressed air and the V1 had three gyros. One main gyro and two secondary ones. I believe this to be one of the secondary gyros, which stopped the V1 wandering off a true course.

The gyro is much smaller than I had imagined it would be (I have put a ruler in the first photo so you can see for yourselves)

Here is a link which has some excellent photos under the 'navigation' section.
http://www.zenza.se/vw/

regards Kev

HPIM8602.jpgHPIM8603.jpgHPIM8604.jpgHPIM8605.jpgHPIM8606.jpgHPIM8607.jpgHPIM8608.jpgHPIM8609.jpgHPIM8610.jpgHPIM8612.jpg

Very nice Kev!
You'll have to find a way of fixing it and getting it spinning.
Dave.

I have just received a reply from the person I got this gyro from and here is what he said regarding history...

"............The gyro come from a V1 that crashed and exploded at Fingringhoe which I believe is up near Colchester in 1944. Unfortunately thats the only information I have on it......"

I will use this as an example to any new collectors out there...
I always ask if there is any history with an item, no matter how vague the information is its part of a piece - 9 times out of 10 there isnt any, but sometimes it pays to ask. In this case it paid off, I am really grateful to receive this information and will keep this with it.

Maybe a member has further information about V1 crashes in that area stated and maybe pinpoint it a little further???

regards Kev