What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V1 Flying Bomb

Alan1

Premium Member
Latest acquisition - complete rudder from FZG 76, painted inscription notes that bomb exploded over Dover. Almost certainly shot down by an aircraft, hence the bullet holes etc that are visible. Virtually all original paint, and retains the actuating bar and link etc.
Two questions, please, can anyone help me with an original air log, ie the propellor unit at the front of the flying bomb, and can anyone please point me to a source that I can download and print from the Combined Intelligence Objectives Sub-Committee paper entitled Fuzing System of German FZG 76 Flying Bomb (V1), written by Lt Fogel, USNR, in July 1945.
I cannot access via web because US clearance is complicated, and I cannot go through the hassle of FOI, wch is the other alternative route. Many thanks.
Alan1.DSCN0823[1].jpg

Not to nitpick but I do not see any bullet holes. It is more likely fragmentation holes from the bomb casing itself. Also it does not state that it detonated over Dover in Kent, but at Dover in Kent.
But it is a VERY cool piece of history and I would love to own it.

Anders makes several points, and, of course, he has only seen one side of the rudder. On the other side is an exit hole that looks VERY much like it was made by a bullet, and I speak as an ex-Infantryman. Hence my reference to bullet holes etc. Anders will be aware that the rudder is at the rear of the bomb, and thus damage caused by incoming projectiles will not necessarily display the classic entry/exit damage that one would expect of a light metal fabrication attacked side on.
As to whether the bomb was shot down or, as Anders seems to imply, was blown up at Dover, I know of no bomb disposal sites that were used to destroy enemy missiles and air dropped weapons that were actually at Dover itself. Further, if demolished rather than shot down, the warhead would almost certainly have been removed for disposal as a separate item as the airframes etc were very much sought after for research etc at the time. Whatever.
But I still seek an air log, and a reference to the fuzing mechanisms written by Lt Fogel.
If Anders can help with either of these, I shall be very much obliged to him.
Alan1

I don't think Anders was implying anything, he was simply stating the specific text as shown. Likewise, no mention was made of bomb disposal. The test as written seems to imply functioned as designed.

And all I intended was to share a pic!
I have already responded to Anders, and now US-Subs thinks that the text implies functioned as designed. But a moment's thought should bring the conclusion that this is very unlikely. Firstly there seems to be no evidence that V1's were ever aimed specifically at Dover, and that is because they were a "terror weapon" and their accuracy was about a mile each way, so London was the obvious target. Southampton, Bristol and Portsmouth were also considered. Secondly, as Hitler himself said, Dover was well within range of the big German cross-channel guns and bombardment was far easier by gun than missile. In fact, I have also got a fragment of shell from this period, with a gummed label stating that it was recovered from the roof of a house at No 58 Sussex Avenue, Ashford, a little inland from Dover.
And the V1 was designed to fly on a set course, for a set period, after which the elevators were locked, the engine cut and the bomb descended in a steep and terminal dive to explode on the streets and buildings of the destination. It follows that this particular bomb did not do as designed.
By the time the second bombardment phase was under weigh, General Pile had already redeployed a gun belt from Beachy Head to Dover to protect London, and the fighter planes were able to engage targets as they approached the coast.
It is my belief that this particular V1 was shot down by a plane, but I could easily be persuaded that the Ack-Ack gunners were successful in this case.
Either way, as Anders says, it is a pretty cool bit of kit.
Alan1.

Many thanks, and I am grateful to you. Unfortunately this item came to me from an old friend, who bought it at a trade fair some time back. Probably at the Hop Farm. And he did not enquire of the seller whether or not he had any info more than that painted on it.
Shame, for keeping records as full as possible is the least we can do for the collectors of the future - we are only temporary custodians, as it were, of the items that we are preserving.
Lot of V1's fell just outside the Dover harbour and port area, this might have been one of those.
And I still seek an air log and the reference to the fuzing regime.
All best,
Alan.

Just a comment. All the UK located parts of shot down VI's I've seen had either .50 cal MG or 20mm Cannon shell holes. Browning .303 was seemingly not the pilots choice for this work.