What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V1 Reichenberg

Was it to be used as a Kamikaze type thing, Dave?

Hi the info is on the first post, from what it says the people who were to fly them would have had a parachute although I'd imagine it would be quite difficult to get out of it safely!
Dave.

These were made for flight tests and some weirdo wanted to use them as Kamikaze devices in late war but luckily it never got implemented.

Dave, as a person who collects Survival Equipment and has a working knowledge of egree systems, I am going out on a limb here and say "No Way" could it have been done. There looks to be of no way out safely as did many pilots in piston driven airplanes by either throwing negative G's and letting the aircraft throw you out or even in a flat spin because she looks like she is extremely nose heavy making escape almost impossible. Just FYI.

Dave, as a person who collects Survival Equipment and has a working knowledge of egree systems, I am going out on a limb here and say "No Way" could it have been done. There looks to be of no way out safely as did many pilots in piston driven airplanes by either throwing negative G's and letting the aircraft throw you out or even in a flat spin because she looks like she is extremely nose heavy making escape almost impossible. Just FYI.

Thanks, I figured with a great big intake a couple of inches behind your head you'd get sucked into it, perhaps the parachute was just to make the poor test pilots feel better about it......
Dave.

To quote a wartime test pilot,"I find this aircraft difficult to get into,it should be made impossible,"
Cheers,
Don,

Dave, the Argus propulsion system was a pulsejet and was not actively sucking air as a jet engine does - the air there was more of "flowing" into the engine at aircraft speed. The Argus system was a very simple and relatively low tech. So bailing should have been a normal procedure.

They also have one of these in the Delft Museum, in Holland. Delft was also a launch site for the V2's.

Dave, the Argus propulsion system was a pulsejet and was not actively sucking air as a jet engine does - the air there was more of "flowing" into the engine at aircraft speed. The Argus system was a very simple and relatively low tech. So bailing should have been a normal procedure.

Thanks EOD.
For those who are interested in the engine there is some more information on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_jet_engine
Dave.

Also Alex, wouldn't there have been a greater chance to catch on one of the Open flaps from the intake. It still would need an intake of air to function. I might be guessing here too?

Also Alex, wouldn't there have been a greater chance to catch on one of the Open flaps from the intake. It still would need an intake of air to function. I might be guessing here too?

Mark from what i can remember from the book it was a one way ticket and there were plenty of volunteers,,,, Dave

There was one of those manned V1's sitting at Rochester airport [Kent , UK] for years . Anyone know what happened to it ?

Mark from what i can remember from the book it was a one way ticket and there were plenty of volunteers,,,, Dave

As we mentioned before the whole thing was a test vehicle for the engineers and a suicide use was not intended initially. When the idea came up it never got past proposals.

Mark, we sure may need the insight of those days. The intake was certainly there but what I meant was that the air was not sucked into the engine by the engine itself like in a jet engine. Also one would think the engineers those days knew exactly about the potential danger of the intakes of jet engines and considered that for the manned V-1 (Fi-106 / FZG-76).

Alex, thanks for the answer. Appreciate it. That would explain all of it for me. One other item about these birds. Didn't the Luftwaffe ask for voulunteers to ram their Fighters into B-17s and B-24s? Wouldn't they be considered "Suicide" also?

Last edited: