What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Value British No36 grenade

M

Mikey25

Can anyone tell me what a Mills No36 is worth in euros, being located in Western Europe?

I'm thinking about selling mine. It comes from a former museum. It's not mint, but in good shape. The image attached is not my grenade, but it's in thesame condition.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 56
Hi Mikey,

the gren you have pictured, a Galt i believe sells for 50 or thereabouts at the War n Peace show at Beltring, near Paddock wood every year for the past 3 years. The euro being on par or so with the should give you an idea. However in some countries they are in short supply so the price goes up. also, depends if they are made by an uncommon maker if marked.
WW1 36s would be a bit more pricey if in good nick.

hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy. I'll look up thee markings on the grenade when I get home. :)

Been looking into it. The state the grenade is in is less than the one in the picture above.

Markings on the grenade: "VADIS I"
Markings on the bottom: "N 36M Mk1" and "VADIS 43"

You guys think I can still get 40 euros for it?

Attachments

• SL387258.jpg
    SL387258.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 42
  • SL387259.jpg
    SL387259.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 42
  • SL387261.jpg
    SL387261.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 36
  • SL387263.jpg
    SL387263.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 43
  • SL387266.jpg
    SL387266.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SL387267.jpg
    SL387267.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 36
Been looking into it. The state the grenade is in is less than the one in the picture above.

Markings on the grenade: "VADIS I"
Markings on the bottom: "N 36M Mk1" and "VADIS 43"

You guys think I can still get 40 euros for it?

Your grenade is better than the Galt No.36, shown in your first post.

Your VADIS No.36 has original British varnish and markings, although maybe a little worn.

The Galt No.36 has been refurbished. It is one of a large batch of what appear to be Dutch training versions, which were originally painted white with two holes drilled into the body, one on each side. These training grenades have been stripped back to bare metal, the holes welded shut, then varnished and bright red crosses painted. The effect is rather garish, and easy to distinguish from a genuinely marked No.36.

If the Galts sell for 50 euro, then yours should go for more. If you were to sell it on an auction site, you might be pleasantly surprised at its final price.

Tom.

Having seen the gren i concur with Tom.
Also, the base plugs seems to be cast iron, i believe only 10% or less were made of this, most being zinc alloy so this would add to the value.
Nice gren,

Andy

Having seen the gren i concur with Tom.
Also, the base plugs seems to be cast iron, i believe only 10% or less were made of this, most being zinc alloy so this would add to the value.
Nice gren,

Andy

Thanks for the info guys! :)

I didn't go to college or anything. Can't really tell wether or not it is zinc..
What makes you think its cast iron?

*Added another pic.

I set the FP to 75 euros (about 65 GBP). Don't really know wether or not this is too much. I'll see what I'll do if it doesn't sell.

Attachments

• SL387274.jpg
    SL387274.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't go to college or anything. Can't really tell wether or not it is zinc..
What makes you think its cast iron?

I have one very similar made of cast iron and it looks very similar. Put a magnet to it and that will confirm it.

Andy

I have a magnet sticking to the bottom plug. :)
It's not zinc.

The grenade has been sold for the FP I set. I'm happy. Thanks again chaps.