What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Value of 303 currently

gavins

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can point me towards a current value list of 303 british rounds?
I have a collection of various rounds some including 303 in AP, inc, Tracer, FMj etc etc.

Any help welcomed

gavin

A tough one to answer Gavin
Really depends on who is looking for what & what they think it is worth.
There`s a guy on spec auctions name of apap has lots of 303 & some of the prices are mind blowing - but one assumes he knows his stuff.
Certainly a WWI or II round with unstruck primer & unfired bulletis a 1 to start - then headstamps come into play. WW1 a bi restricted but WWII a lot more. CAC made seem fairly rare.
I have about 200 in total all different headstamps & variants. Drill rounds as well there are a lot of.
As I say take a look at spec aucts.

.303 values

The value of a .303 depends entirely on what it is and the rarety of the load/headstamp.

I have seen a .303 Ball Mark III sell for 3,500 and I have paid 300 for a single specimen myself. It is no good simply saying " a .303 AP" because a normal WW2 W Mark I is worth only a couple of pounds, whilst a WWI .303 Mark VIIS might easily fetch 100.

Plus...it depends on how much the buyer needs it. There are over 100 different marks of .303, even without considering manufacturers or headstamps, and I still need maybe a dozen or more of them.

Regards
TonyE

Blimmey thanks guys i was aware there were alot but not that many. im certainly a long way off all them.
Im having a bit of a change about here trying to cut down what i collect but problem is i get tinkering with them and it starts the buzz again.
and of course its a bit harder to sell AP , inc etc if i decide to get rid of things like that so often i end up puting them back in the cabinet.

Gavin

Interesting,all this,never given a thought to values of these rounds.Just out of idle curiousity what would you have to pay for a full clip of Kynoch 303 rounds.All headstamped K 1940 VII,cupronickel bullets,unstruck primers.Fairly common items,I'm thinking???

A tough one to answer Gavin
Really depends on who is looking for what & what they think it is worth.
Certainly a WWI round with unstruck primer & unfired bulletis a 1 to start - then headstamps come into play. WW1 a bi restricted but WWII a lot more. CAC made seem fairly rare.
Also bear in mind where you are and what is common in other parts of the world. While the various experimental and limited production .303 rounds might appear more often in the UK, they are next to unheard of in the "Colonies".
That said, Aus and NZ makers rounds are plentiful and I would have a couple of hundred WW1 dated CAC, both loose and in packets and cartons. These are by no means rare here and can often be found for around AU 10-20 cents ea., as they are considered too variable and unreliable for target shooting. I fact, the combination of both months and years on the headstamps on WW1 CAC stuff is what got me into "Collecting" rather than just accumulating.

Attachments

• CAC 1916-17.JPG
    CAC 1916-17.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 63