What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variable Power Telescope

SHAKY

Just acquired this from a friend yesterday. Variable Power Telescope No. 2 Mk II, manufactured by Periscopic Prism Co. Ltd. London, 1917. I was told this was mounted on an artillery piece of some kind for direct fire. However, its' lack of crosshairs/sightpost within make me think it is most likely a spotting scope instead. I think my brass obsession is what sold it for me. Hope you enjoy.
Cheers, SHAKYVariable Power Telescope No.2 Mk II 001.jpgVariable Power Telescope No.2 Mk II 002.jpgVariable Power Telescope No.2 Mk II 003.jpgVariable Power Telescope No.2 Mk II 004.jpgVariable Power Telescope No.2 Mk II 005.jpg

Some time ago I found (almost the same) on a shipwreck. And I did some research and found out that the scope was mounted on the Scott Vickers fire guidens system located in the fighting mast of the bigger ships. Probably it is the trainers telescope. The picture in dated 1917
image.jpg.image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks Michel. That is most similar to mine. Maybe the "hood" is missing off the front of your example? I have seen other manufacturers such as Ross, they look quite similar to whats on the Scott Vickers guidance system.
SHAKY