What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vatizeet??

doppz92

Premium Member
More seriously,, the casing weighs 17.8kg, measures 100cm in length, the mouth diameter is around 18cm. Facts. My problem is there's no mark what so ever and the missing primer was screwed in a very weird looking adapter. I can guess it is for some kind of navy gun, but which one? The casing pictured next to it is an 18 Pdr, just for scale purpose.

IMG_6564.jpgIMG_6561.jpgIMG_6562.jpg

The case of the German naval 17 cm SK L/40 gun has 18x105cm dimensions with a rim diameter of 20,3cm.

Sorry, work keeps me away from my hobby. The rim diameter is 217-218mm

If it is 998mm in length it could match a French (though it does not look French) 152x998R x217
Mle1936 naval.
According to Jan Janssens' book there existed US-made cases for this French gun, which could explain why it does not seem to have a French headstamp

Last edited:
Thanks charley777, I do have a French 152x998Rx217 US made and putting them both together one can easily see they are absolutely identical. Problem solved, or half solved, I still haven't got a clue of whom the manufacturer could be, however, I now know what the casing is! If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful.