What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Flare Pistol

ribargo

This is my Very flare pistol the first photo show its original condition the next after a quick clean, (starting to look good)- the hand grip was missing from the right hand side so I found a suitable piece of wood to construct a new one from. I could have made two hand grips at the same time as I wanted the gun to look in as good condition as possible, but I also wanted it to retain its character, so preservation rather than restoration was the order of the day. (you can see the original grip has shrunk a bit) Because the screws and pins were corroded away the gun fell apart, so I had to replace them to hold it all together. My next step was to ask Birmingham proof house about deactivation and was told that the gun needed to be complete when submitted or a solid mass welded in place, and all appropriate work carried out in accordance with the latest government deactivation specifications. Off to the gun shop it went. Now I was faced with finding the parts or making them myself. It was evident that this was becoming a restoration project, not what I had wanted. The other option as suggested by the Police was to hold the gun in none working order but on a gun licence, this in turn would need to be kept in a locked gun cabinet and not on display. I was hoping for some sort of dispensation as an antique gun, but they said it was a grey area and the law wasnt to clear on exactly what an antique gun was. Talk about catch 22. I opted to restore the gun and to do the deactivation work. Being an engineer myself this wasnt such a problem, but without a pattern or drawing to work from would mean lots of time spent trying to find a complete gun to take measurements from. I was lucky with the hammer and trigger and managed to source them from the USA but all the rest had to be hand made by myself whilst the gun was in safe keeping at the gun shop. The hardest part to construct was the barrel retaining clip I could only work on one part of the gun at a time to keep within the law and as you can imagine this was quite frustrating. The gun shop finally agreed that the Very pistol was ready to send to Birmingham, it passed with flying colours and was stamped up and certified. The most satisfying part was bringing it home and putting it in the display cabinet. I hope you all like the results and thanks to Spotter and waffenamt for you e-mails and encouragement.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 84
I found this one in the sea, the owner of the site area has let me have this in exchange for other items discovered at the same time, and he didnt want the hassel of the restoration and gun licensing and such (or the bill)lucky me - I made a Promise not to reveal the exact location just yet, but it was deep

Nice one ribargo,
Im glad that the tale has ended well for you.Its good to see pics of it back in BOCN now its de-acced.

cheers

waff

Yes thank alot mate for the advice,and for looking after me as a newy. I've added the other photos to an album along with an 18lb shell fuse, this site is fantastic, the quality of peoples collections have me in awe

Thats very nice of you to say so-I feel like a kid in a sweet shop looking at the engineering on this site, wonderful collections