What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very rare 75x168R90 shell case Polte 1919 & Hembrug

Hoeksel

I am currently trying to identify some rare shell cases for a collector friend. This shell case is interesting because it is made by Polte Magdeburg and dated 1919. The only other 1919 dated Polte Magedeburg case I have seen proof of is in the Dutch archives. Unfortunately I do not remember what shell case it was, but if my memory does not fail me it was not this 75x168R90 shell case.

The only reason I was able to identify it, is because I had a comparable Dutch made (Hembrug) shell case in my former collection. The shell case is for a 7,5 cm Krupp L/13 quick fire gun. It was used by the Dutch in the former East-Indies. Only 6 guns were in use, and I know the submarine "K VII" (Soerabaja) and the mine sweeper "Krakatau" had this gun. My Hembrug case was positively identified by BOCN user "Greif" in the past and he gave me the photo from original Dutch drawings. The case is now in his collection. The gun in Dutch marine service is called "7,5 cm snelvuur nummer 5" (7,5 cm quick-fire number 5) or in Dutch army service "7 cm kort" (7 cm short).

This shell case is not to be found in the existing literature, probably because it is so obscure. Shown are the Dutch drawings, the shell case and the 2 known head stamps.

Questions:
- Does anybody know which model Krupp gun used this shell case?
- Any guess what "Mh.843" could indicate? Normally the month is stamped here.
- Any other cases floating around in collections? Would love to see other head stamps!

Attachments

• 7,5_cm_marine_no5_munitie.jpg
    7,5_cm_marine_no5_munitie.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 89
  • 75x168r90.jpg
    75x168r90.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 75x168r90_stempel.jpg
    75x168r90_stempel.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Polte Mh.843 1919.jpg
    Polte Mh.843 1919.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 82
I have theory about the meaning of Mh.843, setup together with Grief, that is very like a Krupp shell case drawing number. My soon to be published article on Krupp shell case numbers will describe this in more detail.