What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vey old fuze

Depotman

Premium Member
Very old fuze

Can anyone help with the i.d. of a colleague's fuze - surely pre 1900s? Thanks, Trevor

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Perhaps newer than that?

Being as it appears to be partially made of an Aluminium or Alumium alloy I am thinking it may be a lot newer then you think, it almost looks world war two era and has a Naval look to it not unlike a Naval depth charge timer?????

Me thinks Chris hit the nail on the head, far too new to be that old, interesting piece nonttheless...Dano

Aluminium was used on fuzes during WW1, my 1917 dated number 80 has aluminium components. seems to have a post WW1 feel to me.

The fuze in question is made from a combination of brass, lead and a white (pot type) metal now commercially known as Zamac. It is very similar to the Armstrong type T&P fuze. I'm not sure if it is an early version or post the number 22 fuze, but definitely pre 1900.

BD

Aluminium and alloys

Aluminium was used on fuzes during WW1, my 1917 dated number 80 has aluminium components. seems to have a post WW1 feel to me.

Fully concur with Nismosonic on the fact that Aluminium was used on Fuzes around the first world war era but these items tended to suffer from corrosion due to the poor material quality and make up.
Also the use of cheaper materials was also being experimented with and other alloys of the time a lot of which suffered from severe corrosion.

I once had a really nice experimental AP round with a magnesium alloy cap that would just not stop corroding no matter what was done with it-ended up soaking it in oil and then varnishing it which still did not stop its corroding but it did dramatically slow the process.

Unidentified PTTF;

To All,
Another member also has this fuze. Wich at the moment has not been identified. White metal fuzes were used as far back as 1861-1865 in our American Civil War. I have been unable to determine how the time fuse, if present, transmits to the shell filler.
Regards,
John aka Bart
P.S. I have seen the early model of the No. 22 (Armstrong E Metal Time fuze) and this is not it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To All,
Another member also has this fuze. Wich at the moment has not been identified. White metal fuzes were used as far back as 1861-1865 in our American Civil War. I have been unable to determine how the time fuse, if present, transmits to the shell filler.
Regards,
John aka Bart
P.S. I have seen the early model of the No. 22 (Armstrong E Metal Time fuze) and this is not it.
Thanks to all who've tried to help identify this fuze. I certainly go with the 'older' option as it has certain similarities to a number of fuzes in a book on American Civil War Fuzes. It certainly isn't an Armstrong time fuze; I have both of his types used by the British and there is not a lot of commonality! Keep trying! Trevor

Thanks to all who've tried to help identify this fuze. I certainly go with the 'older' option as it has certain similarities to a number of fuzes in a book on American Civil War Fuzes. It certainly isn't an Armstrong time fuze; I have both of his types used by the British and there is not a lot of commonality! Keep trying! Trevor

I agree it isn't an Armstrong fuze, my reference was to it's similarity in looks. For one, the Armstrong fuze has a much coarser thread. There were very few time/combination fuzes around during the American Civil War and shortly thereafter (which is where I would date it), Sawyer, Schenkl, Hotchkiss and Armstong for instance The time ring and cap also bear some similarity to the model 1864 Hotchkiss percussion fuze, but there the similarity ends and I have not been able to find a diagram of how that one functions either!

BD

I agree it isn't an Armstrong fuze, my reference was to it's similarity in looks. For one, the Armstrong fuze has a much coarser thread. There were very few time/combination fuzes around during the American Civil War and shortly thereafter (which is where I would date it), Sawyer, Schenkl, Hotchkiss and Armstong for instance The time ring and cap also bear some similarity to the model 1864 Hotchkiss percussion fuze, but there the similarity ends and I have not been able to find a diagram of how that one functions either!

BD
The book I waqs referring to was "Artillery Fuses of The Civil War" by Charles H Jones, ISBN 0-9670731-4-6, which is very well illustrated with photos of dozens of fuzes, but no diagrams. There are a surprising number of time fuzes although many of these are very crude and not based on a moveable time ring. It probably dates, as BD says, from soon after the American Civil War. Trevor

Fuzes

Hi Burney, good to see you again.
Are you referring to the Hothkiss (Wright) fuze for the flat nosed Hotchkiss?
if so here it is:
Regards,
John

Last edited by a moderator: