What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vickers 1908 round ID req'd, please.

Cirus

Hi all,

With reference to the attached pictures can anyone ID this round? The projectile is wood, does this mean it was a practice round? The dimensions are as follows:

1) Case length = 7 1/10"
2) Projectile length = 5" (visible)
3) Diameter = 2 1/4" approx

Hope you can help!

Regs.
Cirus.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 99
ident.

Looks like a cut of 3pr Vickers case with a dummy bullet. rim should be 67mm dia and the full length of the case would be 414mm. Interesting though as it has a cap not a screw in primer yet is dated 1908. 2pr

Interesting indeed 2pr. Never seen the like on the primer, too bad the case has been cut down. why on earth do people do that..Dano

Vickers ID info.

Hi all,

Thanks for those replies and if my maths is up to scratch then the diameter of the rim is just a smidge over 60mm. Any more thoughts in view of this are eagerly awaited!

Regs
Bernie.

Vickers shell diameter

Hi Falcon,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I've rechecked the rim diameter of this shell and it is 60mm!

Regs.
Cirus

Please could you type out the writing on the head. I can't make it all out in the photo. What does it say at the 12 O'Clock position? I can make out "VICKERS I", but is there any faint markings before Vickers?

Also, what is the diameter of the case just above the rim?

The metric designation of this case (assuming it isn't cut) would be a 57 x 180R.

Last edited:
Vickers round ID reply.

Hi Falcon,

Sorry, but I posted the wrong diameter for the rim, it is in fact 67mm and there is nothing stamped in front of "VICKERS I". Incidently the metric length of the case is 184mm approx.

Regs.
Cirus.

The rim dimension fits with a 47mm Vickers Mark I, which is listed as a naval gun. However, the case has been cut as it should be 414mm long and be a necked case. That would be a nice case if it wasn't cut.

primer

The primer is classic Nordenfeldt style with the groove around it and a copper cap, cases marked as MK I* have a screw in no. 2 III primer typically by RL but the case is not usually redated as a conversion, only its date of making shows. 2pr

Question

What do all the other stampings on it stand for? I am really interested in the arrow type stamp.

Joe

The British ordance mark (usually known as the "Broad Arrow" or "Crows foot") has been stamped on all equipment accepted for service by the British military since sometime in the mid 1800s.