What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vickers S gun 40 X 157R tank buster round

Quatermass

Ive managed to get hold of an S gun round, searching the forum I couldnt
find any information so I thought id start a thread. Perhaps other members
could post pictures and information.

Compassion of British 40mm projectiles:

S Gun projectile overall length 164mm.
40mm Bofors AP projectile overall length 156mm.
2 PR AP projectile overall length 132mm.
2 PR Naval WW1 common pointed projectile 142mm approx.

AP Mk I 2lb 5ozs / 1.13kg (Wallace gives a shot weight of 2lb 7ozs / 1.22kg)
AP Mk V 3lb / 1.36kg

Clarke gives details thus: armour-piercing MkI. weighing 2 1/2lb, it was a
solid projectile with a tungsten nose which could penetrate 50mm (1.95in) armour
(the round is also illustrated with a line drawing of a 3.7cm flak AP round with
some very strange dimensions!) Clarke certainly seems mistaken on the tungsten
nose, a good case of not trusting a single source of information.

souces:
The guns of the R.A.F. 1939-1945 G.F. Wallace
Flying guns world war II. Anthony G. Williams & Dr Emmanuel
Gustin
British aircraft armament Vol 2. R Wallace Clarke

S gun.jpgS gun stampings.jpg

Thanks for the photo. It's unusual that it is a normal 2 Pounder headstamp. As far as I knew all of these had a special 40 M/M headstamp.

Thanks for the photo. It's unusual that it is a normal 2 Pounder headstamp. As far as I knew all of these had a special 40 M/M headstamp.

Falcon, have a look at the headstamp on the link (post 8)
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/31093-RAF-20mm-Hispano-and-40mm-Vickers-S-help
It doesn't refer to 40mm and I've had 3 of them over the years all with similar headstamps, none with reference to 40mm.
Interestingly the one I have has "AP" stencilled on the base.
Dave.

Just had a look at the paperwork I have on the 40mm SBH ammunition and various notes refer to using the 2pr No.1 Mk II primed No.27 ( as the no.16 was not suitable at low temps.) one illustration shows this stamping on the base.

I'll take a flier on the 40m/m case and say its an export type much as the 1 1/2pr are marked 37mm but no broad arrow.

Two things seem pretty clear: "40 mm" stamped S-gun cases do exist, but a lot of (most?) S-gun ammo doesn't use them. I've always understood the 40 mm-stamped cases to be rare.

Logically, in circumstances like this one would expect that early production would use the general headstamp until they got around to making a specific 40mm bunter, but I don't know if that's what happened in this instance. How do the dates tie up?

I'd be surprised if this had anything to do with export - this ammo was only made in wartime and I've never heard of any attempts to sell it abroad.

I saw this headstamp on a cut down case at a car boot sale a few years ago. The rim was exactly the same size as a 2 Pounder. I didn't buy it as they wanted 15 for a ruined case that was cut off to about 2 inches long and had been engraved on the side.

sgun_hs.GIF

I saw this headstamp on a cut down case at a car boot sale a few years ago. The rim was exactly the same size as a 2 Pounder. I didn't buy it as they wanted 15 for a ruined case that was cut off to about 2 inches long and had been engraved on the side.

View attachment 63374

My case is stamped as per Falcons drawing. The projectile is stamped

AP 40M/M VT
JMB
1 / 43

Hangarman

It is an interesting headstamp as it is not laid out in the usual way that British headstamps are. There is also no obvious date marking.

My case is stamped as per Falcons drawing. The projectile is stamped

AP 40M/M VT
JMB
1 / 43

Hangarman

The projectile I have is also produced by JMB. James Mackie, Belfast.
Unfortunately it has suffered from some corrosion.

PC

Attachments

• 40mm projectile.jpg
    40mm projectile.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 16