What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vietnamese impact grenade

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. This is a Vietnamese impact grenade that turns up from time to time in Cambodia. Does anybody know when these were developed? Thanks

Attachments

• Vietamese impact.jpg
    Vietamese impact.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Hi. This is a Vietnamese impact grenade that turns up from time to in Cambodia. Does anybody know when these were developed? Thanks
Hi Colin, I am not sure when developed. I didn't even know of its existance. What a cool looking grenade, I have never seen anything like it. I wonder if it dates back to the Vietnam war?? Most interesting......Dano

Hi Dano, Yeah its a strange one. Looks a little like a pregnant V40:bigsmile:. Ive only found one reference to it, and thats in a manual used by EOD in Cambodia. Cheers

Hi Dano, Yeah its a strange one. Looks a little like a pregnant V40:bigsmile:. Ive only found one reference to it, and thats in a manual used by EOD in Cambodia. Cheers
Hi Colin, Out of curiousity what is the year of the EOD manual? Dano

Hi Dano, The manual is dated 1992, but includes Chicom ordnance dating back to the mid 60's. Cheers

I would of thought that it came out in the mid to late 70'. I have not seen it being used by the NVA, The VC, or the Pathet Lao. As far as when it started production I am going to stay with the mid-to late 70's.

V40

By the way, what manual are you all talking about?

Vietnam gren, model unknown

Hi everybody,

I found it in the US TM (Ref : E-36-2-10 VIETNAMESE GRENADE, HAND, FRAG, MODEL UNKNOWN).
So you can read it, it's an unknown model. This doc is dated Okt 2000.

Warnin, it's an impact allways functionning hand grenade !

Yoda

This grenade does not date to the Vietnam War era. My belief is that it was developed in the late 1970's or early 1980's. To the best of my knowledge it has only been recovered in Cambodia. I have only seen one that was recovered near Kampong Spoe, Cambodia and it reportedly had no date on it. The markings in yellow were in Vietnamese and were translated by local Vietnamese interpreters in Cambodia to read "Mobile Checkpoint N6, Route 12-0-81-V" I have problems with that translation for obvious reasons. Reading Vietnamese is not my specaility, but I suspect the LO 12-0-81-V on the grenade is actually a lot number with a 1981 date. My markings are the same as the one shown here except for the numbers. I don't think many of the greandes have been recovered. In 1992 I only knew of two that had been found in Cambodia. It is 65mm long and 55mm in diameter. It was loaded with 55 g of plastic explosive and has a total weight of about 290 g. There are two separate hemispheres in the grenade. Both have explosives in them. One holds a fixed firing pin, the other a floating primer detonator held away from the firing pin by a very weak spring.

This greande and one other showed up around 1988 when it was een at an Ord Show in (I think) SIngapore. About 4 years later (maye more) a short EODP basically just a picture and nonmenclature ws published, think the real EODP was somehting like 2006.

VN has a couple nice little ordnance factories, where they make their own grenades and mines. They still get their big ordnance and small arms from outside sources.