What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting England in July

25thapril

G'day all I had such a great time at Beltring last year meeting all the fellow BOCN members that I'm coming back again this year So hope to catch up with most of you again. I arrive at the start of July so if any body can supply me with some dates for other arms fairs etc that are on before Beltring that would be wonderful also was thinking of visiting the Normandy area in france and information as to where to stay and what to see please let me know. Oh and Dano if you read this I promise to take more pic's for you and post them on here
Well here's hoping I'm bombarded with tips and directions and dates
Kind regards Daryl

Hello Daryl,

Glad to hear your coming again, ill be going to Beltring again this year too. There is a small militaria fair at farnham in surrey on 3rd July but I don't know of any others.
With regards to visiting Normandy I definitely reccomend it. I went couple of years ago and there's a lot to see. I stayed in a small cottage in saint Marie du mont which was 1st town to be liberated on d-day. there are several batteries still in that area which in Utah beach, just round the corner is the point du hoc and Omaha beach, and you have to visit the us cemetery there.
further down the coast is arromanches with the mulbery harbour and museum, a short drive up the cliff top in the arromanches 360, a 360degree cinema.experience which was very good. just inland are some british cemeteries but at bayeux is the famous ancient tapestry which though not WW2 is fascinating.
just outside caen is Pegasus bridge and museum which is also worth a visit. there are so many museums there is always something to see :)

Thanks Pete
I was in Ypres and the Somme last year it truely is an amazing place to visit. And thanks to you Ben for the info much appreciated .

Regards Daryl

Hi Daryl,I have a Normandy/beaches/museums/ travel brochure I picked up there in 2009,if it is any use to you pm me your adress and I will put it in the post to you,
Regards,Don,

Hi Daryl

It was great to meet you last year.
Karen, little Jessica and me will be camping up there all week again this year, so if you spot us come and say hi again.
I am really glad you stoped us last year and asked if it was me just by the description of me going to be walking around with my mrs and pushing a 3 wheeled baby buggy with Jessica in it :)

From bazooka chris

Hi Daryl,if you come to Dorset at any point i would happily show you round some cracking ww1 and 2 sites of interest.Cheers Tig.

Hi Daryl,

If you are a member of ACCA, there is an ECRA meeting at which you would be welcome, held on 3rd July up in N. Lincs. Usually everything from sporting & military SAA up to artillery rounds.

Regards,

Roger.

Hi Daryl

It was great to meet you last year.
Karen, little Jessica and me will be camping up there all week again this year, so if you spot us come and say hi again.
I am really glad you stoped us last year and asked if it was me just by the description of me going to be walking around with my mrs and pushing a 3 wheeled baby buggy with Jessica in it :)

Would love to catch up again. this time I'll be on the lookout for two frazzled adults running around after a very active ammo collector still in nappy's

G'day all first off thanks for all the reply much appreciated.
Tigs thanks for the great offer and I'm still working on my travel plans so I will PM you later but if we can't catch up before hope to see you at Beltring if possible

Yes YDNUM303 { Rodger} I'm a ACCA member and would love to attend I will be staying with a mate in London so if you can give me a few directions I should be able to find my way there hopfully.

G'day Paul Always good to hear from you how are the twins going? I'm quite sure there will be enough grenades for both of us. But of coarse if I do happen to pick up a gem I will let you know about it. lol

Hi Daryl,
We recently had a holiday in Normandy. The bed and breakfast places can be identified by a little sign of a house, in green, and the words `Chambres d'hotes', typically 50 or 60 euros a night which is almost the same in s now. The cheaper alternative is to stay on a camping site. Arromanches (Gold beach) is well worth a visit. There is a militaria shop in a back street that is near a signposted 52(?) space car park but the prices are pretty high and I was dubious whether everything in it was directly related to the Normandy invasion, for example there was a `Portsmouth City Police' helmet badge. Arromanches also has a museum and a static display of field guns, vehicles and landing craft outside. We took the D514 coast road to the west and in the area of Omaha beach we stopped at a small roadside museum (might have been at Vierville?) with other guns and moveable steel sentry boxes outside it. The display inside was worth seeing. Pointe du Hoc is well worth a visit, if only to get an idea of the plastering the place took and the effort that must have been needed to achieve it being taken. On the other side of the Cotentin peninsula, south west of St Lo is the coastal town of Granville, with a number of smashed and intact Atlantic Wall bunkers on the coastal heights above the town. However you can't look inside the complete ones, for example one is used as a shed by the local coastguard. Nice scenic place though. My wife was getting all WW2'd out so we didn't visit Juno, Sword or Utah areas, after all it was her holiday too.

By the way I like your avatar, Britain could do with remembering what common sense used to be.