What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War & Peace Show * New Location*

bazooka chris

Hi guys just come across this press release below,
it looks like the war and peace show will no longer be at the hop farm any more and is moving to Folkestones old race course.
This is some news I really didn't want to hear I love it where it is.

PRESS RELEASE
30 November 2012
WAR ANDPEACE RACES TO HELLFIRE CORNER!

Rex Cadman is delighted to announce the launch of his brand new show; The War and Peace Revival, which willbe held at RAF Westenhanger, Folkestone Racecourse near Hythe, Kent on 17-21July 2013.Of this exciting new venture,Rex said: after celebrating the 30thanniversary of the War and Peace Show, we thought it was time to draw a lineunder the event and move forwards with a new event in a new venue, creatingsomething exciting and fresh. My years of experience with The War and PeaceShow have given me the understanding of what does and doesnt work, so the newshow will be even better!Rex is best known for hisformer show, The War and Peace Show, which was at The Hop Farm in Kent for 25years and celebrated its 30th anniversary this year. Rex organised this withhis team from 1989, taking it from a small club show started by the InvictaMilitary Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS) with just 100 vehicles in 1982, tothe worlds biggest military vehicle event.The Racecourse location waschosen due to its unique relevancy to the new military and vintage event. Right in the heart of Hellfire Corner, sonamed due to the battering it received during the Battle of Britain in 1940,the area is steeped in military history. The Racecourse itself was used as partof Operation Fortitude (South) during WW2 - the great deception designed tofool the Germans into believing the D-Day landings would be in Calais, notNormandy. Inflatable aircraft were setup along the racecourse to make it look like an active airfield and in 1944 660Squadron used the racecourse to practice operations with local army units,prior to leaving for France three months later.President of the IMPS, James Baxter, said: This new show, in a fantastic location, is avery exciting development. The permanent facilities, such as bars,restaurants, etc provided at the racecourse will greatly enhance the experienceof the show, for both visitors and exhibitors alike. Rex Cadman is movingmilitary history events to a new level which cannot be matched anywhere else,and IMPS is delighted to support this new venture.Visitors to the new show willbe able to see many of the expected attractions including living history,military vehicles, meeting WW2 and other veterans, vintage civilianentertainment, trade stands, celebrities, battle re-enactments and militarymodels. The first War and PeaceRevival will be held at Folkestone Racecourse near Hythe, Kent CT21 4HX (justoff the M20 Junction 11) from 17-21 July 2013. See www.thewarandpeacerevival.co.uk

what does everybody think about this news ?

From bazooka chris

Thanks for the update.

It doesn't bother me where it is as long as there's no delays in getting into and out of the venue and there's plenty to see and buy.

Dave.

Wonder what the race course are going to make of the tanks ripping the grass up in bad weather and the re in actors digging trenches, just Googled the site and don't look like there is much room as most of surrounding fields are farmed ???????

Bad times ! I cannot see it getting better, I had a Great display area between the model tent and the beer tent and next to the stalls ! its now gone :(
They may let them do the show this time but just wait untill after with no Grass and trash everywhere like the hop farm then they may change there minds ! I thought it was extra income for the farm ? no where can beat the show at the hop farm, now it looks like were going to be halfway around the race track ! nice

Does anyone have any idea of why this was done?
Apparently , the Hop Farms new owners are turning it into a vineyard to produce English sparkling wine . I go to Folkestone races for corporate events about twice a year & it's very nice . One of the problems will be the access road as it's a VERY narrow . I don't know how that will work out unless everyone buys a motorcycle .

Got hold of this below.
So it looks like its official the show is moving to Folkestone :(
Take a look at the top left hand corner says it all :(

from bazooka chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
I can't help but wonder if incident with the Nazi re-enactment lot having their do at The Hop getting bad press was a nail in the proverbial?

From the War and Peace web site:

There is a great deal of speculation and rumour flying around the various social media sites about War and Peace as usual.
We are just finishing packing the thousands of Christmas cards that go out each year with the entry forms for 2013, which are due to be posted on Wednesday 5 December. We’ve been locked away in our offices (complete with Christmas carols and Quality Street!) packing these cards for the past week but are nearly there.
So to make sure all your questions and concerns are answered, at 10pm on Tuesday 4 December we will give you all the news for our 2013 show, but please bear with us for now. Rest assured we love the show as much as you.

Rumours abound, but remember they’re not always correct. If you want to know exactly what’s happening this is the page to be on - so as usual, all news will be published on our website and our facebook page only.

Well it's official have a look at the picture below :(
Even though the show organisers are still denying anything, and saying they will release a statement tonight at 10pm. LoL

from bazooka chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 27