What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

webley mk VI markings

rich89

Banned
Can anyone help me I.D. these markings?

Attachments

• aug-dec 2010 169.jpg
    aug-dec 2010 169.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 35
  • aug-dec 2010 167.jpg
    aug-dec 2010 167.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 37
  • aug-dec 2010 166.jpg
    aug-dec 2010 166.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 31
Mark VI

I cannot read the full marking in the first picture, it looks like " K ?? 8, 41". The first part is probably a unit marking and the latter part is an issue date of August 1941. If you post what it actually is we might be able to identify the unit.

The other marks are acceptance stamps applied by the inspectors from C.I.S.A (Chief Inspector Small Arms) during manufacture. The number under the crown identifies the particular inspector and the letter beneath where they are based. In this case the italic "B" identifies BSA Sparkbrook as their base location. The italic "B" was originally used by the government repair factory at Sparkbrook but when BSA bought this in 1906 they continued to use the italic "B" to differentiate it from the normal "B" used by inspectors based at BSA Small Heath. Since Webley were a Birmingham company it is to be expected that the inspectors at the factory were based in Birmingham.

The other marks are also hard to read but are inspection or acceptance marks. The leftmost stamp in picture 3 should be "'1?" which is the last two digits of the original acceptance date and should agree with the date on the frame.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
The unit marking is kA or k4 and the number in the 3rd pic is 16 and maches up with the frame thanks alot. Anyone know anything about unit markings then:tinysmile_grin_t: