What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webley & Scott Flare Pistol

Ravenhook

I bought a Webley & Scott Flare Pistol for 20...yup 20 yesterday, marked 1917, anyone know where I could get any inert cartridges please, guessing theyre 1 1/4 inch bore...I havent stripped it for cleaning yet ,its really gummed up with thick black grease.
I will post some shots of it as soon as.
Thanks.

It will either be 1 inch calibre (most likley) or 1 1/2 inch.

You will be hard pressed to find any WWI period flare cartridges, but the same type of cardboard cased rounds were used well into the 1960s before being replaced with the light alloy cartridge cases used today.

Flare cartridges are not really in my collecting sphere, although I do have a 1 inch proof round for these pistols loaded with lead shot, like a rather large shotgun cartridge.

Regards
TonyE

flare_001-4b99fdf3a78d9e4e9f59b84624042930.jpg

Hi raven i used to have an all brass webley and scott deact flare pistol many years ago with a brass bell end on it .
The only flare cartridge (british) i have is the following two piccies.
Daz

Blimey Daz, that is one mother of a cartridge for a flare.
Hopefully some pics soon Waff...busted end on my usb link..will try and get one today.

here's a few 1" WW2 & post war 1.5". The closing disc for the modern unmarked 1" reads RED Pains Wessex Ltd, High Post Salisbury, Wilts, England. The only thing missing is 'if found, please return to..'
sig.jpg

You have some very nice original items in your collection, it's nice to see things that have not been messed with. Do you have any grenades ? Tony.

Yes Tony I have one mills bomb, the casing is originalbut missing the centre tube andbase plug...the previous owner "broke" it up to make more money from the seperate parts.
Rrickoshae, those are nice examples...Paynes eh!..they make fireworks..I remember the advertising slogan for Standard Fireworks back in the 60's which is ironicaly appropriate.."light up the sky with standard fireworks".
Cheers
Duncan

It will either be 1 inch calibre (most likley) or 1 1/2 inch.

Regards
TonyE
While that is the nominal description, the actual bores are larger. The Signal pistols were developed from sporting guns from the late 19th century and are based on the 1 Gauge (or 1 Bore) and 4 Gauge (or also 4 Bore) shotguns. The 1 Gauge measures 1.67", while the 4 gauge measures 1.052". You will also see reference to the 1" Flare pistol as a 26mm or 26.5mm. The Brass case featured by DAZ REICH is likely a Shot shell for a 4 Bore Punt gun rather than a flare case.

One of the No1 Mk3* Signal Pistols I have is Australian, made in 1942 by Colonial Sugar Refineries in Sydney.

Attachments

• IMG_0322-1.JPG
    IMG_0322-1.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Of the Flare Cartridges pictured by Rrickoshae, one of them is the odd man out. In the top row, centre is one marked "SPRA". This is not a flare, but a propelling charge for a line-throwing device called the "Schermuly Pistol Rocket Apparatus", used as safety equipment in Maritime applications. Based on the Signal Pistol frame, it features an extension tube to house 100ft of twine rope. Pictured below is the 1" version, you can see the similarities to a signal pistol:

Attachments

• 1in SPRA.jpg
    1in SPRA.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 44
Webley & Scott flare pistol

This one came through as a surrender in late 2009. I borrowed it for taking these photos (in my own time with my own camera), to preserve it for posterity before it gets crushed or melted. As it was already in our system I could not buy it from the lady who surrendered it and work would not allow me to buy it. Apparently such weapons as this are sometimes offered to the Leeds Armoury museum but often they fail to reply to the organisation that offers it. A piece of history that I would have loved to own.

Attachments

• CNV00076.JPG
    CNV00076.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 85
  • CNV00077.JPG
    CNV00077.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 67
  • CNV00078.JPG
    CNV00078.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 66
  • CNV00079.JPG
    CNV00079.JPG