What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a collection....

Nice collection.
The only problem I would have buying a collection of this type of 'anything', would be that half the fun is in finding the bits in the first place. In fact I think looking, re-searching and finally finding is half the fun of collecting. Looking for that elusive bit, keeps us all going!!

just my opinion........thanks for showing

kind regards Kev

Kev,
there is one problem that I see with his display. And just for FYIs why do you start talking about what you cannot have this or that in the case. You have to wonder why with this case for sale, would you take away what seems to be the goodies of the sell? Maybe some close up photos like most everybody here does showing 5-8 items in one picture. Also photos of what you cannot have, would be really the influence that you would decide on whether you would buy it or not. If all that I have stated here makes any sense? I'am tired and it is 0400 hrs. so I am going to sleep now and dream about all of the weapons that were made and I get to use them all of them. Goodnight and may you all have similar dreams.

Not the first time this collection has come up for sale. Safe to say nobody will cherry pick this one....Dano

For 12000 bucks I'd expect a high quality photo upfront and also items not being part of the deal not being shown on the image or at least "blackened". JMHO...

Nice collection.
The only problem I would have buying a collection of this type of 'anything', would be that half the fun is in finding the bits in the first place. In fact I think looking, re-searching and finally finding is half the fun of collecting. Looking for that elusive bit, keeps us all going!!

just my opinion........thanks for showing

kind regards Kev

I agree with you Kev. I really couldn't collect things that were "limited edition of only 10000" that you order through a catalogue but if someone offered a nice collection of squeezebore rounds, or indeed SD 2's I'm sure I'd force myself to buy them and try and make a space on the shelf..................LOL
Dave.

Well Waldorf MD is just outside of Indian Head MD which was home to the EOD school so I'm guessing it's probably a retired EOD guy. I don't recognize the screen name and I only see a few auctions he's been involved in.

I agree with you Kev. I really couldn't collect things that were "limited edition of only 10000" that you order through a catalogue but if someone offered a nice collection of squeezebore rounds, or indeed SD 2's I'm sure I'd force myself to buy them and try and make a space on the shelf..................LOL
Dave.

I know a person who have such set of SD2s that Dave,Kev or ME could not resist getting whole set once... :tinysmile_twink_t:

I also remember this coming up last year I think. There was a discussion on here about it and I think we all came to the conclusion that it was quite a good deal (apparently some rare ones in there but that was not from me, I don't collect US grenades so don't have a clue)

Anybody we know? Would the price be right?

Hi Mark, hope all is well, and SOG on the brain is clearing up a bit. :tinysmile_twink_t: To answer your two questions...the first is a yes and a no... I don't think many here know him, but I'm almost positive a few do, Second question, in my opinion the collection is priced quite right, and very fair. He's helping the person who bought the collection last year to sell it now for personal reasons.

I was lucky enough to have examined this collection in person while it was still here in FL. As said he's not someone everyone here knows, he does come here to look around, but don't think he's a member, and doesn't get involved in discussions about pineapples (but I wish he did at times in the past), some of which discussions were my past long rambling posts with my thoughts & theories about pineapple issues. He and this collection are the reason I became interested in collecting inert WW2 grenades & ordnance. He sold me my first WWII US pineapple that I wanted to display with the US guns of my 35+yr.WW2 gun collection. Because I'm a cheap bastard (not really) I asked to come pick the grenade up personally from him as he only lived less then 1/2 hr drive from me.
The gas used by my 78 Camaro to drive there & back cost me more than the shipping would have been:driver::laugh: but I would have spent 10 times this for the knowledge learned that day and since then. After meeting and talking a while, he decided I was an OK guy & trustworthy(of course) and was fortunate enough to be shown the "Wall O' Nades" as I call it. Then the 101 questions started to spew forth from me, and was lucky to have 40 years of pineapple knowledge shared...BUT then UNLUCKY enough to become completely addicted to collecting inert WW2 grenades ...and now not just grenades, but also A/P mines of NOT just the U.S. but of ALL countries involved ......So if you read this post my friend, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!

Those who mentioned that the hunt for items is most of the fun of collecting, I agree 100%...true collectors will usually agree with this also....with me after a few hours, maybe a day or so of complete happiness after the hunted item finally arrives...the hunt starts all over again for the next item....and then the next...and the next....etc..it never really ends for some of us unfortunately.

And why be skeptical because of only one photo that can't be enlarged? he does state that serious buyers can contact him for more and better photo's, and also a detailed list of all the 100+ grenades (which I already have) ....Also why should anyone be worried or skeptical of the mentioning that the 2 V-40 grenades on the top shelf, and the display fuzes on bottom shelf that are not included??... it's only being honest as to what's for sale...
here's a few pics that are maybe just a bit better....

Attachments

• P1060003.jpg
    P1060003.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1060002.jpg
    P1060002.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 41.jpg
    Picture 41.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 42.jpg
    Picture 42.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks Steve for the above post and possibly clearing up any doubts on this one.

I perhaps would add, that going on the opinions of many, your friend may be selling himself short by supplying only one poor photo of his collection for sale. I think he may get a better price and much more interest if he were to take the time to take some clear crisp photos of what he has. By the sounds of it this is one remarkable collection and I'm sure you would be doing him a great favour if you suggested it.
Thankyou for your post and glad to hear that the thrill of the chase is equally shared by many. If collectable items were available to buy like groceries from the store, then how many of us would really collect???
I appreciate everything I have, and for every item there is a story behind obtaining it, but always its the next piece that eludes us that keeps us going......

regards Kev

Thanks Steve for the above post and possibly clearing up any doubts on this one.

I perhaps would add, that going on the opinions of many, your friend may be selling himself short by supplying only one poor photo of his collection for sale. I think he may get a better price and much more interest if he were to take the time to take some clear crisp photos of what he has. By the sounds of it this is one remarkable collection and I'm sure you would be doing him a great favour if you suggested it.
Thankyou for your post and glad to hear that the thrill of the chase is equally shared by many. If collectable items were available to buy like groceries from the store, then how many of us would really collect???
I appreciate everything I have, and for every item there is a story behind obtaining it, but always its the next piece that eludes us that keeps us going......

regards Kev

Hey Kev, your welcome, thought would be of help to keep everyone from guessing and speculating. A serious buyer will get the pics they need. He'll sell them his way just fine sooner or later. A while back, photos of one of his more rare grenades was used without consent or credit which irked him a bit. Some don't like their photo's being used without proper credit due. There's always watermarks, but with 109 grenades this is a bit time consuming to do, and spoils pics sometimes. If lucky they might be parted out if not sold again as a lot, then some of us can bid to get just the ones were missing in our collections. More work for him, but will get a bit more for them.
I like your thoughts about groceries and collecting... I also love & appreciate all my stuff and the stories of getting them too....especially things like finding my minty '39 S code Luger & holster, and a Reichsrevolver for almost nothing at a garage sale, or as you folks say across the pond...... a car boot sale... and 100 other similar stories over the years of finding treasure....the old right place at the right time saying....

Like Dean Martin's favorite drink, my favorite piece is the next one.

Now that's a really funny analogy JG :biggrin: ahhhh the good old days & good old Dino and the rat pack...I read when doing his TV shows, he was usually just drinking apple juice, not scotch or whiskey... although I'm sure some nights it was the good stuff!!

Steve,
I understand 100%. You also are making my evening still. Gosh guys is it that noticeable? I guess I will have to take my meds more often. Come to think of it, I have even dreamed about it! Now that is bad. I didn't think "SOG on the brain" was an illness? If we are going to talk SEALs than I shall break out the beast, just kidding!

I really feel for that man who has to get rid of it all with a few exceptions. I've been there, done that, and got the shame to show it. Hope it sells everybody. By the way, I have been talking to "Dirt Detective" on another forum about this collection as he also collects Mk.II's and the entire series. He knew the person who had it in Florida. He also agreed that it was just about the right price too.

And as to Dean Martin, he was born and raised as a child in Stuebenville, Ohio. They in Southern Ohio almost on the Ohio River for one week in the summer have "Dean Martin Days" down there in his honor. The group I belong to is going down there for their Parade and the honoring of all of the soldiers of all of the people that fought in all wars including the present day.