What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fuze is this?

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can someone ID this fuze for me please?
It's a British base fuze and i think it's either the No 11 or No 12
Unknown.jpgUnknown Cutaway.jpgUnknown Base.jpg

Thanks

Pete

This is not my cup of tea, but if I'm not wrong, you have a base fuze No 12 Mk IV

Yoda

Here two drawings from Jean-Paul.

Yoda

Attachments

• No 12 Mk IV-01.jpg
    No 12 Mk IV-01.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 36
  • No 12 Mk IV-02.jpg
    No 12 Mk IV-02.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 18
Pete, Yoda,

I think it is actually a No. 11 Mk II*. The only difference between the two is that the No. 12 was a smaller version. If you look at the 10 o'clock position you will see R ^ L and just beneath it, is an oversize Roman numeral 2 and just below to the left is an *. According to 'Land Service Fuzes' 1962 only the No. 11 Mk. II was converted - which is what the * signifies.

Compared to the later Marks, there were some serious design changes; one being swapping the places of the needle and detonator. The differences are so great I'm surprised that the later No. 11 and 12s didn't get a totally new numbers allocated. Yoda, had you not supplied the diagram I'd still be guessing.

It was either made, filled or conveted in May 1904.

Regards

TimG.

In addition to my last, the base should be about 2.35" in diameter (approx figure). It is interesting to note that the comments on the drawing for the 2* state there are only four holes.

Regards

TimG

011-420.jpg