What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

Depotman

Premium Member
Haven't a clue what this is! It's 20mm dia x 215mm long, made of steel. Thanks, Trevor

Attachments

• DSCN7778.jpg
    DSCN7778.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN7779.jpg
    DSCN7779.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN7781.jpg
    DSCN7781.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
21mm Sub Calibre training round.

Its a 21mm Sub Calibre training round that I think is used in a 66 LAW, Light Anti tank Weapon training tube-you used to see a lot of these around and there is a thread showing a few tubes for the round itself.

The head will be very hard indeed and the "pips" just to the rear of the head are where the proppellant was attached, the rear will be hollow and I think some had a small Tracer element in them but only a small percentage.

Last edited:
21mm Sub Cal

As previously stated, you have the remains of the Rocket 21mm Sub Calibre used in a modified Rocket 66mm HEAT M-72 Series. In Canada, the ammo techs use to modify fired M72A3 tubes by inserting 21mm barrel assemblies and modifying the launcher so it can be reloaded and reused. The ballistics matched the 66mm rocket. When the M72A5 series was adopted the 21mm ballistics no longer matches and it was removed from service. Sometime in the future a new sub calibre training device is to come into service so the ballistics will match the M72A5 version of the 66mm rocket.

I tried to find the thread about this item, but for some reason I was unable to find it. Here is a photo of a previously posted photo. The black tubes are M7 propellant sticks. The tracer is in the metal rear section. The white plastic portion contains an igniter which ignites the tracer and propellant sticks. The whole system is initiated with a percussion primer.

Attachments

• 21mmsubcal.jpg
    21mmsubcal.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 41
What is it - 21mm

Many thanks for the i.d. The breadth of knowledge on BOCN is very impressive! Regards, Trevor