What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is Standard?

smle2009

Hi all,
I have a bit of a dumb question that I have been meaning to ask for a while now! but what is a standard round!?
The two examples I have is a 7.92mm Besa round (R^L 45 2 Z) with yellow annulus and a box(empty) of 5.56mm M193 nato standard rounds,box also yellow.

Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P7280006.JPG
    P7280006.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 39
  • P7280004.JPG
    P7280004.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 33
Standard rounds

Standard rounds are made to close tolerances and are used at the production facility to check each batch or Lot of ammunition as it is produced. Each batch is fired for proof against Standard ammunition to ensure that it meets specification.

They are also referred to as "Ballistic Standards".

Regards
TonyE

"Standard" is also used in conjunction with "NATO" as in your 5.56mm carton - this indicates a conformance with a "STANAG" or "Standardised Agreement" which is a defined standard for military equipment or procedures across member states.
Also found in services slang - as in - how do you drink your tea? Answer - NATO Standard - as in milk and 2 sugars.

Last edited:
Standard

Of course STANAG means a standardised NATO store, and probably that is what the "NATO STANDARD" means on smle's 5.56mm packet.

However, the British use of the word "Standard" with respect to small arms ammunition is exactly as I have described it. It was in use in that context long before NATO and Stanag was ever thought of. The example he shows of a 7.92mm Ball Mark 2z with yellow annulus is a prime example.

I have many examples of British military "Standard" rounds and their packaging labels in my collection and I have attached a few here. There is even one for smle's 1945 Besa round.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• 7.92 2z.jpg
    7.92 2z.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 20
  • .5 Fiz.jpg
    .5 Fiz.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 21
  • .50 3z.jpg
    .50 3z.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 15mm.jpg
    15mm.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 19
  • L11A2.jpg
    L11A2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 55WII.jpg
    55WII.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 17
  • M1 carb.jpg
    M1 carb.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 303 W1.jpg
    303 W1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 17
I wasn't aware that the M193 was ever a NATO standard round - it was the US standard before NATO adopted the SS109/M855 round.

NATO standard

I agree Tony, but I did not want to get distracted into that argument but rather to make my point about what "Standard" means in the normal British ammunition context.

I said it is "probably" what the 5.56mm packet marking means as I suspect that package is from Privi Partizan or other non NATO source.

Regards
TonyE