What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to remove rust?

Rapidrob

I have several WWII inert projectiles that have heavy rust on them. I was thinking of using my Electrolysis machine with Washing Soda. What do you guys use/think is the best method?
Thank you.

Hi Rapidrob,depending on how heavily the projectile is rusted you could try using beadblasting to clean them,it is far less damaging than shotblasting,the beads are much softer than shot so cause no damage to the surface of the metal,(steel)a good operator can take away the surface rust without marking the surface of the metal,be warned though that softer metals like alloy,brass and the copper driving band will be have a peened finish after beadblasting,so try to avoid using the beads on these parts of the projectile,something else to remeber is that steel that is beadblasted will form surface rust very quickly(sweat from your finger prints)so a protective coat will probably be needed,
Hope this helps,
Regards,Don,

I have used two methods - both work, but the electrolysis method gets the job done in no time!

1) Molasses (1 part Molasses / 9 parts water)
------------
Drop it in a bucket and leave for a couple of weeks, check progress every couple of days.

Pros: Strips the rust off - back to bare metal, ideal for very large items (low cost) i.e artillery gun barrels etc
Cons: stinks and fugus starts to grow after about a week

2) Electrolysis:
-------------
Well, you already have the gear and there's plenty of U-Tube videos....

Pros: FAST! Several hours to overnight.

The attached pics shows the pre /post shot after I cleaned up this 15pdr shell - not heavily rusted. The driving band was cleaned with acid.

Have fun!
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• preshot2.jpg
    preshot2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN4566.jpg
    DSCN4566.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: