What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the exact size of a 75mm Pak 40 case ?

kz11gr

Hello

Some differences in the documents .

714 mm long or 718 mm long ?

thank you

Last edited:
716 mm according to the Polte case list - but: There is no exact answer for your question and a precise answer can be found only in an official manufacturing drawing (sorry I don't have one for the PAK 40 case). In these drawings a case length would be for example 716 mm (+1) which means the length must be 716 mm to 717 mm. Allowed length tolerances for artillery cases were usually large and could be within full millimeter range. The 2nd WW factory drawings were part of the VTL's = Vorläufige Technische Lieferbedingungen (provisionary technical delivery conditions). The word "vorläufige" means that these documents could be changed anytime by the customer (which was the 3rd Reich at this time). So it's even possible that the case length was changed after some production time when there was a good reason. These VTL's existed for every produced small part, for powder, etc. but today they are incredibly rare. I think 99% of them did not survive the end of the war.

A real-world-example: The steel case for the well known and mostly "77x230R" called case for the Feldkanone 96 n/A and Feldkanone 16 had a manufacturing length of 229,5-1,0 mm so cases with lengths between 228,5 and 229,5 mm went through the acceptance check.

Last edited:
Thank you

mistakes everywhere (wikipedia .. forums ... etc)

Attachments

• differences.jpg
    differences.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 38
Has anyone noticed the peculiarity in this drawing, i.e. why is the ,,sprengkapsel P 2,, drawn the other way around? I have seen a few pieces in nature and it was always different from the drawing... I am interested in your opinion.
Anfertigen der Munition der 7,5 cm Pak. 40...
Anlage02.jpg
Akon

Last edited: