What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?? German WWI Stake Mine?

Kilroy was Here

Hi, does someone know what this is? My friend brought this over, and I am not sure what it is. It looks like a Russian POMZ kind of, but is smaller. It is marked on top, and also has a "65" stamped at the bottom. The fuse hole threads are the same 10mm? German size, and any German fuze will fit this mine, like ZZ-35 ZZ-42 etc.

Is this a German stake mine, or maybe Austrian? What kind of fuze was used for this? Did it use a wooden stick?

Thanks for any help

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P7180013.jpg
    P7180013.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 45
  • P7180014.jpg
    P7180014.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P7180015.jpg
    P7180015.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 45
  • P7180012.jpg
    P7180012.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 42
  • P7180007.jpg
    P7180007.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 63
Good Evening. You are absolutly right to say that it look like a POMZ... because it is !... It's a POMZ 2M or a very much look a like Chinese TYPE 59. Here's what I got from the my mine data base!!!

The POMZ-2M is the most current in a long line of Russian stake mines. The POMZ-2M is a cylindrical cast iron bodied A pers stake mine which is designed to wound or kill by fragmentation. The outer mine body is scored but not pre-fragmented which gives uneven size and dispersal to the fragmentation. One of the major improvements in the POMZ-2M over the original POMZ-2 is that the fuze cavity is threaded and has a gasket to prevent water from entering the mine body. The POMZ-2M has 5 rows scored into the body while the POMZ-2 has 6. The mine is most commonly found with the MUV series of pull fuzes. The POMZ-2M contains 75 g of TNT to propel fragmentation to a lethal radius of 10 meters on actuation, it is often found in rows or clusters of 4. Stake mounted mines are one of the easiest to boobytrap. The POMZ-2M can be located visually as well as with metal detectors under most field conditions. The tripwires can also be located using a tripwire feeler under most conditions. The POMZ-2M A pers mine has been widely copied and it is one of the most common fragmentation mines encountered worldwide. It is produced with slight modifications in China as the Type 59 Fragmentation mine, the Czech Republic as the PP-Mi-Sk and Yugolsavia as the PMR.

(sorry... I seem to have a problem to attach pict... there are too big and i'm not a computer wizzard either... how do make pict smaller??)
Hope that was usefull and sorry about my english.
Cheers.
FCAT

Last edited:
POMZ-2M Fuse MUV-2

Attachments

• P8162785.jpg
    P8162785.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 62
  • P8162792.jpg
    P8162792.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 51
Good Evening. You are absolutly right to say that it look like a POMZ... because it is !... It's a POMZ 2M or a very much look a like Chinese TYPE 59. Here's what I got from the my mine data base!!!
(sorry... I seem to have a problem to attach pict... there are too big and i'm not a computer wizzard either... how do make pict smaller??)
Hope that was usefull and sorry about my english.
Cheers.
FCAT

Hi FCAT, thanks for info, and taking time to reply in such detail. Your English is very good, no problems understanding you.

I did not think this was a post war POMZ 2M, it looked older to me
but apparently this does not mean anything. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
I also did not know that the Soviet thread size was the same as All German WW2 fuzes, I think 10mm?

Thanks, Regards, Steve

POMZ-2M Fuse MUV-2

Hello Vadim, :hello: how are you? I hope well. OK, thanks for reply. We have discussed this back in April. You showed nice pics of 3 types POMZ. But this mine looked very old to me, not post war.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/mines-pomz-2-t71535.html?t=71535

I did not know the fuze threads were the same size as German mines and grenades. This is what confused me. :dontknow::alberteinstein:

Thanks again....
Regards, Steve

Last edited: